Fake?? | FerrariChat

Fake??

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by msdesignltd, Jun 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    I think it's genuine. Paris air show is on this week and I have seen reference to their flight demo in some French websites too.
    I also think the angle of camera is deceiving a bit. That's a very steep climb but not vertical. Still the bird does fly very well.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That take off is not a photoshop special. The airplane is very light and has a lot of horse pressure. Plus they have some very good pilots on the program and they know the limits of the airplane. Boeing would never publish something phony about their airplanes.

3. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
  4. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's real, but might as well be fake.

Have they lifted the FL290 icing restriction yet?

5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
  6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    In the beginning of the video the Typhoon scared the s#!t out of me!

8. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #9 LouB747, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While impressive, I'm guessing it's no where near vertical. Those angles always look weird to me. Here's a shot of a JAL 747 departing LAX. While it looks extreme, it's probably no more than 20 degrees in this shot.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    On the 747-8, with essentially the same engines, the restrictions have been lifted to 35,500 with some limitations. Basically if you are at a light weight, you have to fly faster to keep the N1 and N2 up. There's a chart with Altitude and weight vs speed. I'll see if I can post it.

10. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That's a wonderful pic

11. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    low fuel, no passengers, no baggage/freight I would imagine it is quite the performer in that condition

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That is what I said in an earlier post. Light weight and lots of power and a good pilot.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Wouldn't most empty transport category perform like this or does the 787 have a higher thrust to weight ratio?

14. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    a performance take off is impressive to see, but essentially not a big deal...

it's about having enough momentum for a few seconds to have an aggressive angle attack and gain some altitude, which creates the wow factor... there are military aircraft ( without payload ) that have do not need to depend on illusion to do an aggressive climb out...

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You can see in the video where they keep the NG down longer than would normally be required to gain extra speed at min drag, then followed by an aggressive pitch up. Just your typical obstacle take-off technique.

16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Oh, come on!

Now this dude, on the other hand, had a right to be scared. And to have his replacement knickers paid for by the network...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

17. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    As Bob Hoover aptly demonstrated in numerous airshow routines, you can do a lot of things so long as you don't lose ALL the airspeed. They gain some speed by keeping the nose down at full power and then go near vertical and as it bleeds off push it back down.

It's not that it's a big deal, but the impressive thing here is that the 78 has the power that a light weights can keep it vertical for as long as they can.

Since this is essentially a low speed maneuver, bigger bypass engines really help a lot. Older turbojets and smaller bypass fans can do it, but with the new generation of big bypass engines you get a lot more thrust at lower speeds, and that is what makes this more impressive.

Think about it another way. The empty thrust to weight ratio of a 787 is about .5 lbs of thrust per pound of aircraft.... The empty thrust to weight ratio of an F-86 is about .53... Only 6% better..

18. s52

s52 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    East Bay
    Full Name:
    Christian
  19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    It actually takes a tonne of power to get vertical right after takeoff WITHOUT accelerating at low altitude to build up energy in the form of speed to later trade off for whatever thrills are in store. To climb at whatever speed the gear comes up at plus whatever is added while pitching up to vertical while maintaining that speed, or gaining more speed, necessitates a thrust to weight ratio of 1:1 or better.

I couldn't find the outside view video of this maneuver that the birds used to do...but for pilots, it really is one of their coolest tricks. Taking off, sucking up the gear and proceeding directly into a loop is every bit as cool as ripping down the runway and crossing the departure end at 500 knots then climbing to the moon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N2gP0VryXZQ

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #21 El Wayne, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Here you go:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNplaq8uwUQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyjNsxLp4rk[/ame]

22. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    If anyone in the aviation arena has seen with their own eyes the performance of B-52 bomber combat maneuvers as a comparison for "heavies" performance envelope, knows this demonstration is completely legit.

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Holy Mother of God!! The Jumbo looks E P I C.

24. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    What's the camera platform on these shots, and what are its altitude/position relative to the runway and the subject aircraft?