Want to fly the Goodyear Blimp? | FerrariChat

Want to fly the Goodyear Blimp?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FarmerDave, Jun 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    They are hiring!
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/57705627?trk=job_view_company_other_jobs&trk=job_view_company_other_jobs

No affiliation, I happened across this listing and thought, how cool!

2. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    #2 redhead, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I 'm on the road with Spirit of America now, flew it briefly from Santa Maria to Livermore.

Just arrived in Sacramento.

4. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Btw that ad is for the NT (replacing the blimp)

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When I lived in Miami Beach in the late '60s and early '70s, the blimp was based on Watson Island, near the Port of Miami. In the winter, when there wasn't much work for the blimp, the "Mayflower" would cruise up and down the beach, and its drone became quite a familiar background noise. I understand that in those days it was fairly easy to get a ride, but I was a little too young at the time.

6. Backyard Buddy

Backyard Buddy Karting

Mar 8, 2015
    Very cool. Riding in one is on my bucket list.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Neat!

I wondered what NT meant. Thanks

8. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #8 Jet-X, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Saw it last Fri morning parked at Sanderson Field (KSHN, Shelton WA), waiting for day 2 coverage of the US Open. How do you pick location to 'park'? Sanderson wasn't the closest airport to the Open, but not that far and has lots of room. Also how does the support staff and equipment travel?

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #10 cheesey, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    they used to park their blimp at the end of a seldom used runway, airport would close runway during their stay... our FBO property was immediately next to runway, allowing for easy convenient access to blimp and ground resources...( crew and support vehicles, ) essentially the same service and access as any aircraft operator would expect... their main requirement is to have full 360 swing around the mooring mast and good ground conditions to allow max anchor holding power for the mooring mast
    a side benefit was that rides were available to employees when their schedule permitted, Goodyear was very generous about allowing access to blimp during their stay with us over the years

11. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I was there in Shelton too...

One of the things isn't just an airfield, but one with a lot of open space because the winds can be unpredictable. It's also availability of airfields, hotel availability, services, a whole host of factors play into field selection. When in Seattle, usually Paine Field is where they would operate out of. But Paine Field was too far, and this was the closest that had availability across the board.

Heading north/south, we ended up in Eugene because all the hotels were booked up in Portland because of an event. The fields all vary, but Eugene by far was the worst. Tall grass that was difficult to run/walk over (try holding onto a rope with a 12k pound blimp on the other end and running it to the mast). When getting on/off the mast, if the winds are kicking up (or even unpredictable) it's crucial to get it on/off quickly otherwise the ship could be slammed into the mast with a fast wind change.

And plenty of space to get the ship off and launch, preferably in a low use airfield. Shelton winds were unpredictable and shifted quite a bit and quickly. The ship could be on mast and pointed into the wind and suddenly swing the other way with a wind shift. Way back in the day they used SeaTac which presented a variety of challenges.

12. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Then you probably saw, maybe heard, some of the action at the Ridge Motorsports Complex 2mi NW of the field (not to be confused with the Highway Patrol Academy directly west of the field). That was where I was at on Fri.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Once while I was at school, the blimp was headed north from Miami on assignment when they had to put down in Gainesville because of weather issues. I drove by the municipal airport, and there was the "Mayflower" moored to its portable mast along one side of the airport property, with its support vehicles.

14. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Definitely heard you guys, but wasn't sure what kind of cars were running (didn't see anyone). I did see an auto cross occurring on the airfield on Saturday.

Bummer, could have given you a tour of the airship.