flight route question | FerrariChat

flight route question

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Fave, Jun 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    #1 Fave, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was looking at some flights I will be taking shortly, and I noticed some differences in the flight routes. Just wondering if some pilots or others in the know can explain why there are such differences for the same daily scheduled flight.

This is Korean Airways flight 73, from Seoul to Toronto

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There are a set of organized tracks across the Pacific that change daily based on the jetstream/winds. That could explain what you are seeing.

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  4. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    That makes sense. I always figured that flights would stay relativley close to land and not shoot right across the Pacific.

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I would bet the first picture (with a more northern route closer to land) is a shorter distance than the second one that appears to be more of a straight line. This is because the earth is actually a sphere (or close to it). The shortest distance between two places will look like an arc on a flat projection.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Being near land has nothing to do with it.

The first is a "Great Circle Route" and is shorter than the second route plotted on a globe.
    (stretch a string between start and end on a globe... it will more closely follow the first route and will be the shortest distance.)

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's why flights from here (ATL) to London don't fly directly across the Atlantic, but instead fly over Washington, New York and Boston en route.

And flights from LAX to London fly north, over Seattle!

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    On a flight to London from Seattle I think that I remember that we went over western Canada, Northwest territories, Greenland, Ireland, and middle UK. It was 20 years ago so it might be a little off.

9. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I was thinking they stayed close to land for safety reasons, but Iguess not .

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A friend of mine flew from Atlanta to/from Hong Kong this past week. He said that each flight profile was different, matching fairly closely each of the two maps shown above.

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I flew from Anchorage to Japan a few years ago. Wake up, drive to airport, fly to Seattle, hop to Portland for the overseas jet, take northern route to Japan. 9 hours after waking up, I was directly over my house.

Of course, when I flew home, I landed the day before I took off.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    LOL:D

14. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
  15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Great story... ha...

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Not quite the same, but a number of years ago, to fly from ATL to SEA, I drove to Birmingham first, about 2-1/2 hours west of here. Why? Because, at the time, Southwest flew out of BHM but not ATL, and I was able to get a flight from BHM to SEA at half the price (and on Delta!).

The irony is that the first leg of this BHM to SEA flight was - BHM to ATL! So I was flying back to Atlanta over the same route that I had driven to get to Birmingham in the first place. Then at ATL I boarded the same nonstop flight that I could have taken directly - at twice the price. Was it worth the 2-1/2 hour drive? I think so.

(One other thing - because of weather over Atlanta, the flight from Birmingham took about 1-1/2 hours, not really all that much less than the drive over had taken!)

17. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

Really ?? what airline fly's that route then ?? That would have to be some odd weather to cause that route I would think.. Normally, LA-Vegas-Mid west-Great Lakes-Canada-Ocean..Southern Ireland then Up the Bristol Channel over south western England LHR..

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ2/history/20150625/2355Z/KLAX/EGLL