near miss? | FerrariChat

near miss?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by It's Ross, Jun 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
  2. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #2 RWP137, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    It's easier to tell the passengers "the aircraft in front of us was still on the runway" than "we were too high and fast and had to go around." The latter sounds bad, but happens all of the time. Vegas has a lot of terrain and ATC has to hold you higher longer which often leads to unstable (high/fast/not configured properly) approaches. It's possible that the aircraft ahead was still on the runway. A near miss was highly unlikely.

3. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Could've been anything. Very common. I have to go around last minute somewhat routinely. Sometimes an aircraft pulls onto the runway when you're on short final. Sometimes it's the pilots fault or controllers fault. Not a big deal.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The abruptness can startle some people. However I was always instructed that when you abort a landing you don't screw around by leveling off, slowly adding power, and then start a gentle climb. When aborting you put fire to the coals, establish a climb, and gain altitude immediately. Controllers have expectations, based on experience, regarding planes landing and getting off onto a taxi-way. Sometimes a plane will just roll-out longer than expected for whatever reason. If things are busy and another plane was close behind in the queue they get screwed and have to go around for another turn. Not unusual, especially at an airport where there is a wide range of aircraft types, e.g. small piston (think Cessna 172's) mixing it up with business and commercial operations.

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    parsing "near miss"... :=) should it really mean that something was hit or almost avoided... where as, a "near hit" means something actually was avoided.... a "near miss" could mean something was avoided in close proximity as opposed to being missed by a wide margin...

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Good advice!

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That once happened to me at ATL. When the throttles were advanced and the nose came up as we were approaching the runway, I knew exactly what had happened, but I don't remember what we were told. We got right back in the pattern and landed about 7 minutes later.

8. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Happens more than you would think at LAX.

I just watched an AA 737 have to go around from a very short final because the tail of the previous landing aircraft was judged by the tower to be still overhang the runway from its hold point.

The calmness of the controllers never ceases to amaze me. LAX, On Sunday I watched them clear two southwest flights for takeoff on the same runway (24R) (24L was not in use)with a Korean A380 on short final....the second southwest pilot even said "Really" when told to line up and wait... The moment his company rotated and wheels left the ground tower cleared him for "immediate take off", bet that guy firewalled the throttles quicker than ever...I was waiting for the 380 to have to go around, there cant have been more than 5 seconds between the 737 rotating and the 380 touching down... would love to have seen the faces of the Korean pilots...

Oh and then an F18 took off.... somewhat different departure profile than most stuff leaving LAX ;) ;) ;)

9. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    IIRC Vegas has a LAHS when landing on the 19's. Maybe someone rolled out the landing a little too far.

And.....Hey Damion!

10. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    #10 migg48, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Lots of good answers here. Go-arounds can be caused by any number of things but should never be a problem. The airplane is already flying. All the pilot(s) have to do is relax, stand the throttles up and retract gear and flaps on schedule. Doesn't matter if you're flying a 210, F-18 or 777. Piece of cake.

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As a pretty frequent business traveler, I can attest to the "startle some people" - but I get it - "get the heck out of the way, and up as quickly as possible" and have explained that to frightened seat-mates. It's often really crappy conditions when it's happened in my experience as well - crazy side winds, thunderstorm, etc. and that just adds to the "fear factor".

I'm not a fan by far - but I ain't died yet :p:p

Jedi

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks for the replies folks, it's good to know it wasn't likely anything to be concerned about. I'll pass it on to the wife.