Airplane parts | FerrariChat

Airplane parts

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by sherpa23, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    When I need to learn about something new, I have always found that the smartest people in my general circle seem to reside right here, in our favorite place on the Internet. So, once again, I need to learn about something and so I turn to Fchatters. But not just any Fchatters: I need airplane people. So, I am making this thread so that I can hopefully understand something new and for your help, I am very grateful.

Here's the background, cliff notes style: A few years ago, I created a technology company specializing in brand security and anti-counterfeiting technologies. That company has now become the go-to source for major brands around the world to help solve their issues in this area. We utilize our developed technologies to create turn key solutions and products for the clients and produce and deliver them, ready to go. They are highly effective and truly game changing and more than one company has credited us with changing the way they do business. I very proud of what our company has accomplished so I sound like I'm gushing a little, it's because I am.

Anyway, we are partners to some pretty big brands in a variety of industries but I was recently approached by someone in a new industry: a company in the airplane manufacturing space. Well, (and here's where you come in) I don't know anything about airplane manufacturing, parts wholesaling, or any part of that business. I am sure that they will tell me a lot but I can't rely on them. I pride myself on really understanding the clients needs and I can't get there on this one without some help.

I need to learn the whole thing from the bottom up about how airplane parts are bought and sold. I need to know how you know that you're getting the real thing, and how important is this to the manufacturers (it's obviously important to the pilots). Also, who does the buying and the selling (is there selling of old parts?)? Is it the plane owner, the mechanic, a third party operator? The reason that I'm asking is because I need to create a practical model to follow so that I can create something that works for both the manufacturers and the pilots/owners/mechanics.

I apologize for not having enough specific questions but I don't even know enough yet to really have any. I really would like to hear from you all about what potential problems there are with buying airplane parts for your planes and how the manufacturers assure you that you're getting safe, legitimate parts.

Thanks again. I'm halfway around the world at a German client's right now, unable to sleep even though it's the middle of the night, wracking my brain about airplane parts. Thanks again for your help.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Google FAA PMA and FAA 8130 tags. All aircraft parts require lots of paperwork from cradle, to install to grave. Long day at work. Can type more later. In the biz jet biz. R&D.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thank you. I appreciate that greatly.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Also see 14CFRPart 21 and Part 43

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameset
    Click on Current CFR/By Part

The regulations are myriad. Just remember that every part on an airplane, EVERY part, must be approved by the FAA (the Administrator). The effort involved in approving a part varies greatly, from basically nothing to complex testing and analysis. The FAA delegates the responsibility for approving parts to many people/organizations, including individual owner/operators/mechanics.

You've stepped in a very deep pile of *****.;)

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That's okay. I brought boots.

6. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    "a company in the airplane manufacturing space".
    When a part is made by the manufacturer (IE Boeing or Honeywell) it will come with its own set of documents. Major components like Wing Assemblies are generally made by the manufacturer of the aircraft, while bolt on items like pumps, gear boxes, valves are made by third party vendors. But anything that is attached to an aircraft must go through a certification process to be deemed airworthy.

This is how the system works on my plane (GulfstreamIV). I had a cockpit window start to develop cracks. I 'squawk' (industry term for write up and inform maintenance, MX for short) the windshield. The MX department looks for a replacement. Turns out that Gulfstream is the only source for the windshield since windshields are destroyed by the removal process, thus nothing on the used market. Caveat, There might be another operator who has a stock of windshields left over from an aircraft that they sold just sitting on a shelf in the MX hangar. Long shot in this scenario, but it happens.

MX works up a quote and presents it to the owner for approval, he approves. Windshield is installed and they give the owner a bill for $74,000. In the MX log books (that go with the aircraft in the event of a sale), an entry is made to include, original squawk made by pilot, corrective action by MX, manufacturer MX procedure number that was used to correct the squawk and both old and new part numbers of the windshield.

Another scenario. Same as above but with Hydraulic Pump 'X'. Pump is available both new from Gulfstream, new from another supplier or used from various breakers. Prices will reflect the source. All will come with supporting paperwork/serial numbers.

Yes there is a secondary market dealing with used/refurbished parts. They undergo a reconditioning process before being placed back into service. There are many parts no longer being made. If you have a display unit on a certain aircraft go down, the replacement will be a reconditioned unit that will come with some sort of warranty. Reconditioned/used parts also have tracking numbers and a pile of paperwork that go with them.

I have never dealt with counterfeit/stolen parts.....but im sure it happens. We only deal with reputable vendors.

How does my mechanic know he is getting a genuine part? He doesnt. He is relying on the vendors reputation and records. Im sure a data plate can be swapped or changed. I dont know if there are red flags in place (Alert...we have two serial number 123456K in service, not possible.) I also dont know if a manufacturer keeps record of a part being taken out of service due to damage. That would be up to the operator to inform the manufacturer. Kinda hard if the plane is a total loss.

Quick final note. MX records on a Ferrari are nice when it comes time to sell. MX records on an aircraft are mandatory. Sometimes an operator will withhold the MX logs until final payment is secured from the owner. Nobody wants to buy a plane without MX logs as they contain the history and serial number of every installed component as well as damage/repair history.

My advice, call around to the closest jet service center. Ask for a MX supervisor and offer to buy him lunch plus $100 bill. You will get all the info you need.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Awesome. Thank you. This is great.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    To add slightly to Christian's comments, if he could get a used windshield (and maybe even a new one?) it will also come with a "yellow tag" which details where it came from, the serial number, etc. This yellow tag will either be stapled into the logbook or at least kept with the logbooks. This is true for just about every part which is changed out, over the years.

The airplane I'm flying now was built in 1980, but only has about 3800 hours. The logbooks and assorted yellow tags, engine logs, prop logs, etc. take up a large filing bin.

There certainly have been issues with counterfeit parts in the past. I think the people who run into those are usually low-ball type operators looking for the cheapest deal, and dealing with unscrupulous vendors. If you stick to the well known names in the industry, it's not really an issue, but of course that can cost you a bit more.

Aviation tends to attract bottom feeders who want to cheap out. However, those guys probably won't be interested in a system like you're describing, because if they were were interested in getting a guaranteed "good" part, they would pay up and get one!

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks. For obvious reasons I can't go into detail but it would be a manufacturer (that I know you know) integrating our proprietary marking system into their parts. It would ensure the part always carries the demarcation that also is related to build date. More importantly, it ensures the customer that they're getting a legit part. Whether they want to put it on both new planes they build and the series of follow-up parts, I'm not sure. I also know they won't go on used parts but I'm not sure if that's the part of the business they're trying to cut out. Again, I'm still trying to learn about the business before I meet with them. Thank you again.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Be aware that ITAR and EAR laws are becoming more of an issue for shipping and certification of aircraft parts. Google it.

Been with Gulfstream 17 years and regulations changing cause more grey hairs than anything else. Some key terms: See Chapter 5 Aircraft Maintenance Manual Limitations, Date of Hydrostatic check and inspection (DOH), date of manufacture (DOM), scrap life, Revision Level*.

* great for software, hardware and firmware. VERY IMPORTANT FOR FLY BY WIRE.

Hours and landing limitations are fairly straightforward. Aircraft getting sold from one market to another must have placards, markings, life jackets ect replaced and certified to the new specs.
    Even the life rafts ELT's and aircraft ELT's have to be re-strapped or replaced for the new area of registry. Done this gazillions of time when I was in the service center. (Been in R&D for awhile.)

Graduated 6 months ago from Embry-Riddle. Still a just a mechanical technician. :eek:)
    LOL. Job market sucks. Fascinating thread though.

PM if I can help, but have to mind our non disclosure rules. Generalities should be fine though. Had my A&P for about 12 years. Did my thesis on the biz jet maintenance. :eek:) market.

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Prior to being downsized, I was an accountable manager for an FAA Repair Station.
    Dealt with all aspects of the repair process, parts and human processes required for repair. I also did some work getting parts added to our station's capability list.

12. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I can see a need for such a marking system provided it works and is tamperproof.

Counterfeit parts are an issue and have been for a while in the aviation business. The fact that there is a ton of paperwork that follows every part doesn't mean that counterfeit parts don't get into the system.

In a past life I worked for a major engine manufacturer and had a good friend in product support. One day at lunch he mentioned that he got a call from a user that wanted to check on a turbine wheel and the customer supplied a part and serial number and wanted to make sure that this was a "good" number for a new part.

My friend responded to this user (who had a large fleet of helo's) that yes, the part was indeed a proper serial number for that turbine wheel, but asked if he wanted to know who originally bought the part (we had that in our records too). The customer responded that "no, I just want to make sure it was a proper part." My friend then said that "well maybe you should want to know that, since you were the one who originally bought that part, and unless you sold it to someone else, it's in one of your aircraft right now!!!"

The moral of the story is that while there is a ton of paperwork that follows aircraft parts around, there are people who will forge paperwork or take parts that are used beyond their life limits and refresh them sufficiently to make the look new and resell them. While dealing with reputable suppliers is very important even some of them can be fooled.

I think the reason for that is that most folks are indeed honest and for that reason many folks tend to assume that if the part has the proper paperwork it is legit, and probably don't look at it that carefully. I don't think that there are tons of counterfeit parts out there, but with the problems in the past with counterfeit aircraft bolts I can see where some type of marking system would not be a bad thing.

If that turbine wheel broke and brought down an aircraft the true story of that particular part would probably have come to light, but the fact that the part was being sold as new and it was either a counterfeit or was used and beyond its life limits would have been small comfort if a loved one lost their life because of an engine failure.

13. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
  14. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    Sir, our company specializes in the mfg and sales of aircraft products, STC'd products. question to you is
    - are we talking RFID type of tracing system?
    - is this a marking system or a product unto itself

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It's a coded marker that is permanent onto the parts. The codes can correspond to date, buyer, both, etc. it's not a visible marker either so no one would know where or how to look for it. It's not rfid or any electronic technology that can be canceled or duplicated (like rfid).

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    O/T

From another thread:

And they're in growth mode.

18. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    A good start to see and learn about the finer points would be
    - MARPA (FAA/PMA association)
    - NBAA
    - AMT SOCIETY
    - AEA ASSOCIATION

all of these groups have excellent trade shows, were you could see first hand whats out there and how yours could be unique