Difficult Landing! | FerrariChat

Difficult Landing!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Need4Spd, Jul 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  2. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Jesus.... and I thought landing a C172 in a 5kt crosswind at Van Nuys was tough ;)

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I didn't know they used grid lock systems like that. You can see the heli attach to the deck grid at about 2:06.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In 1988, I was on a Grumman team that designed the mounting for a similar deck-lock probe for the Coast Guard's HH-65 Dolphins. We were provided a helicopter and a very realistic wooden mock-up of the probe, I believe from Westland. This work was done at Grumman's plant in St. Augustine, FL, which is still part of Northrop Grumman.

Years later I saw a Dolphin as a static display at an airshow. The crewman must have thought I was nuts crawling under the chopper to look for the probe, which was indeed there, so I had to explain my role in getting it there.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jim, that must be a kick for you to see your work in action. Not many people can enjoy that. I have to admit that it has happened to me a couple of times.

6. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    the superlynx also has negative pitch to "suck" itself down on the deck, thats the squat action you see late in the video.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I like the Garmin GPS on the glareshield of the helicopter.

I would be worried about ground resonance, but then I've never flown a helicopter with wheels (or off the deck of a ship, for that matter!).

8. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    If you have been to Queenstown NZ and experienced a Hamilton turn in a jet boat then how about a Do24 water loop?
    https://vimeo.com/133906998

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #9 FarmerDave, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    The guy standing there with the flags is the one that seems to be in the most danger.....if it goes poorly it looks like he would be a rotor shrapnel magnet....