Mid Air Collision in near Charleston, SC F16 v C150 | FerrariChat

Mid Air Collision in near Charleston, SC F16 v C150

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By now most of us that catch newsfeeds during the day have seen this. Bad deal, and close to home. Julie is always very cautious when flying near these areas as we have plenty of MOAs in our state and along our flight paths that we cross. We always ask if an area is hot or not, and generally avoid it. I cannot imagine the horror of this, I just hope it was instantaneous.

How did this happen? Any F16 pilots care to expound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaccA3Ju6Dc

2 people aboard Cessna dead, F-16 pilot alive after mid-air coll - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

F16 vs Cessna 150 collision - Pilots of America Message Board

From Pilots of America below:

From the WCIV website: (my highlights for emphasis)

"The F-16 pilot, identified as Maj. Aaron Johnson of the 20th Fighter Wing from the Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, survived after ejecting safely. He was flying a solo practice mission to Charleston some 2,000 to 3,000 feet in the sky, talking to air traffic control, when the collision happened, Shaw Air Force Base Col. Stephen F. Jost said.

The collision was reported about 11 a.m. near the Lewisfield Plantation off Old Highway 52, about 30 miles north of Charleston. Debris is scattered over about 7 miles.

Berkeley County Coroner and Rescue Squad Capt. Bill Salisbury said they have found most of the jet but only parts of the Cessna and have yet to find the two people who were on board. He said they recovered identifying information about the private pilot and passenger but declined to release their names. He said it appears the private plane was heading to Myrtle Beach.

"From what I understand from a witness that the plane was, the military plane struck the other small aircraft broad side," Salisbury said.
    Jost said Johnson, an experienced F-16 pilot, was on a practice mission flying on instrument controls when the crash happened. Salisbury said Johnson landed on Medway Plantation, as did most of the jet, which was absent munitions.
    A couple of men found Johnson and drove him to a nearby ambulance that took him to Joint Charleston Air Force Base for evaluation. Jost said it's typical for pilots to suffer some injuries during ejection.

Jost said he expects Johnson to return to Shaw by Tuesday evening.
    Officials said debris has been found across 7.3 miles of woods and swampland. Much of the terrain is forest and swamp, only reachable by dirt and gravel roads. Police have blocked off several roads in the area."

Terrible. The 150 was heading NNE probably. No public identification of the 150 crew yet- still folks are on edge thinking they know who it is.

Sound like the F16 was doing what was expected, according to base commander. I'd hate to be the pilot right now, dealing with his thoughts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Not a F-16 pilot..... There is a lot of civilian traffic that will fly around just completely ignorant of other traffic in both VFR and IFR. From the story it sounds like the F-16 may have been IFR and smacked into somebody he wasn't able to see, it will be interesting what the investigation shows. I have some great video of a glider popping out from behind a bunch of clouds on one of the points of busy STAR (standard terminal arrival route) going into San Antonio. He was maybe clear of clouds by 100 feet and is very lucky that we were able to avoid. I'm also very close to a small airport and see guys trying to scud run all the time just doing stupid stuff.

4. s52

s52 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    East Bay
    Full Name:
    Christian
    +1

As a military pilot (I fly heavies) we get pretty close calls more often than I'd like with small bug smasher GA traffic. Unfortunately they are not always talking with ATC and I think some GA guys are unaware of the high volumes of military traffic around military bases.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Observe and avoid, but the 150 pilot likely never even saw the F16.

6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I tried to find a video I have seen before of a 172- I believe almost getting run over head on by some sort of jet fighter. Seems I recall it was a grainy dark video and they both were really low. It was fast and just bizarre.

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not familiar with the location. Was the 150 within an area where a transponder is required?

8. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    This is tragic. Anytime one guy is flying around as a singleton at 250-350 KIAS, all it takes is a few seconds looking down, or to the side, or to be rolling out of a turn, and a face full of C-150 can be there to greet you.

Flying IFR and flying in IMC are entirely different things. In either case, in the Viper, the HUD is the primary flight reference...attitude, altitude, airspeed, and on approaches, course and glide slope as well. So if, in this case the F-16 was actually in IMC, the pilot would have been even more likely to have been staring out the front than if flying in VMC on an IFR clearance.

After a while, and after scaring ourselves over the years, most of us get in the habit of scanning the radar very frequently, even while flying in IMC, and get used to evaluating every return we see for heading altitude and airspeed. As a flight of two or more, we pride ourselves on never missing (no pun intended) another aircraft anywhere in front of us and being the first to spot a potential threat on radar is a gratifying event as that's our job...to find potential threats, evaluate them based on flight parameters and other means, target and kill them if they are hostile. All that said, single ship, down low, potentially in and out of weather, can still lead to near collisions and real collisions.

Sad. I guarantee this pilot feels absolutely terrible. I know hundreds, if not thousands of other Viper drivers and not one of them would take this lightly. I'll be looking at the SIB on this one.

9. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Without bashing on GA pilots (im one), there is a big difference between the weekend warrior and the professional 20k hour pilot. One is just out there in his C152 happy as a clam to get a $100 burger, the other is on an IFR flight plan, full TCASII, scanning, going 330kts etc.

There is a section on the arrival to KVNY from the East where smaller GA traffic blaze through at random VFR altitudes. Coming back from Vegas on a weekend....you have to be alert. Good luck on getting a traffic alert from Joshua.

See and avoid only goes so far. If the F16 was on an IFR flight plan and in VFR conditions, he shares separation responsibility with the controller.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Looking at posted photos, I'm surprised that the F-16 seems to be fragmented... at least the nozzle is separated.

The C-150 looks to be mostly intact and upside-down in a tree.

Even though the verbage says otherwise.

I would think the jet would be intact and the Cessna reduced to shards.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I am guessing that is just the empennage but can't be sure, as eye witnesses say it was t-boned or broadsided.

12. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    The only close encounter that I ever had was related to military traffic and it seems to stem from different control systems working independently. Talking to large metro center approach while overflying airport on a flight plan, was asked to descend intermediately (urgently!) which I did. Climbing C5 Galaxy roared overhead less than 60 seconds later, probably farther away than it appeared. It was explained to me that he was on military freq and I was on the metro area controller freq. He never deviated and I never saw him below the nose and over an urban background. It was only when I pushed over to descend that I saw him. Like a whale swimming over a guppy.....:(

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #14 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. HORNETDRIVER

HORNETDRIVER Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    TX
    Sounds like the Viper was on a low-level and the Cessna was just VFRing around.

A similar accident happened years ago in Washington state where an A-6 hit a 150 on a VR route (1355 as I recall). I knew the A-6 guy. Both 'Truder guys got out okay. Notsomuch for the Cessna dude.

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  17. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Interesting comment from the NTSB. Will see what the ATC tapes say, given the F-16 was supposedly talking with them at the time. Of course with the C-150 apparently just climbing out ATC may not have had them on radar yet, or not long enough to correlate flight paths and give avoidance vectors to the F-16.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ..and vice versa....RIP.

it would be like a train hitting a moped I would think, given the difference in closing speed.

I read he was on IFR, the jet.

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    If that is the case, how can this be avoided in the future? What new technology is coming that will help? Dumb questions I think but I will ask anyway, is it possible to let flight following know your intentions ie taking off so they are aware you are in the area, if indeed, he had just departed and was climbing out? I know you have to be at a certain altitude for radar. From what I have read TCAS may or may not have shown the F-16 if the C-150 was so equipped?

I know that some people don't like flight following, but it really seems to be useful to me as Julie always uses it. Just makes sense to me to have someone watching out ie ATC.

20. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If the F-16 had a normal transponder then TAS would see it given line of sight. I have an Avidyne TAS610 unit and can pick up traffic while sitting on the ground.

Not sure how the future and the ADS-B mandate will help this issue, besides grounding a lot of aircraft. Expect there will be exempted areas just like there are for transponders currently.

21. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    It always amazes me how some people don't use flight following. Why not use every tool available at your disposal to make a safe flight. I know some people are uncomfortable talking to ATC due to their proficiency, which to me means they shouldn't be flying at all. I NEVER fly unless on an IFR flight plan or flight following. I don't know if they were outside of radar range or not, so this comment isn't directed at the deceased, just a public service announcement.

22. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    ^short, sightseeing flight in circles; in an area where they don't want to provide FF; in an area where a training frequency is used.

23. s52

s52 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    East Bay
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Military aircraft are equipped with both VHF and UHF radios. Some military installations have UHF only frequencies... which unfortunately cannot be heard on civilian airplanes as they dont have UHF comms...

I always make it a point to use VHF as much as possible for this exact reason... it helps build SA for any civilian traffic that might be around us. Sometimes controllers will give me UHF freqs and I request the VHF frequency. It works both ways too... I like to be able to hear all the traffic and build a picture of whats going on around me... especially in the terminal environment.

24. s52

s52 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    East Bay
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Absolutely agree!

My Air Force Base is situated about 10 miles from a big VFR corridor serving several uncontrolled fields with tons of GA traffic. Its amazing how many bug smashers fly up and down the corridor seemingly unaware of the huge amounts of heavy military traffic operating right in their airspace.

While they are legally completely in the right to squawk 1200 and fly VFR with zero ATC comms it just seems plain stupid. Ignorance is bliss I supppose...