Better than St. Maarten? | FerrariChat

Better than St. Maarten?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Jul 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I found this video on YouTube, taken in a viewing area along the A15 road under the approach to runway 20 at RAF Waddington.

This was during their 2014 airshow, and there is a very interesting mix of aircraft here!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hFe3dE4HZg[/ame]

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  3. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wow indeed! That's awesome!

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Interesting to see the control movement differences between the F-16 at ~45 seconds and the one at ~2:10 which seems to be a much smoother approach.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    And the smooth gentle landing of the Vulcan. Excellent video!

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Plenty of Boeings in that sequence; when I saw the B-17, I knew this wasn't just a normal day at the air base! The KC-767 at the beginning was a reminder that "our" 767, Bob, is still going to be on the Everett production line for some years to come. And it was nice to see 707 and C-135 variants as well.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That video is absolutely one of the best! The Vulcan put on the same show when it was at Abbotsford in the late 60's or early 70's. I talked my way into taking a look at the " flight deck" which was nothing but a cramped up tightly confined coffin. It is so narrow that the copilot's position is staggered aft. It was originally designed for one pilot.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I remember when the Vulcans did their pass in a hard bank with the weapons bay doors open, revealing an enormous bay!

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #10 Bob Parks, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    That was one of the cardinal features of the Lancaster, too. The bomb bay went from just aft of the pilot to well aft of the wing. Great airplane. Correction; the bomb bay started just FORWARD of the pilot and went way aft of the wing trailing edge.

11. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Draken and hawker Hunter too.

What was the relative performance of the Vulcan compared top say a B47 and B52.

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#13 Tcar, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Short answer:

Fastest: Vulcan, B-47, B52 (No contest, Vulcan much faster in cruise and max - almost 100
    mph faster)

MTOW: B-52, B-47, Vulcan (B-52 is over double the Vulcan, B-47 is about 10% more than
    Vulcan

Size: Vulcan smallest (slightly smaller than the B-47, only about 2/3 the size of the B-52)

*I did a search, but it just verified what I presumed. Vulcan numbers are the later versions.

14. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    The Vulcan is an amazing aircraft... if you've never seen one fly, hurry to England this summer as it is the last year this example will be flying. I believe there is an issue with both the engines and parts of the wings that have reached there fatigue life..

I remember going to Lincolnshire as a kid, watch the F4 Phantoms out of Coningsby and then over to Scampton to watch the Vulcans..... you think one is loud, try a squadron....

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I just saw a video of the B-52 landing at Oshkosh and realized that 65 years ago I hired on with Boeing and almost fell over when I walked into the B-52 mock up building and saw that monster for the first time. "That will never fly!" but two years later I was present at the first takeoff, having gone from flight line modification mechanic to Production Illustrator. Next was the 707 and all that followed. Now, here I am turned out to pasture and that darn thing is still in use!

16. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    A great video, but bittersweet, as it took me back to that terrible day in 1978 when a Vulcan crashed here while preparing for the Chicago air and water show. A very impressive plane.

17. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    Glad i got to see it last summer while i was visiting. Its a site to see.