Recurrent Training. The dreaded... | FerrariChat

Recurrent Training. The dreaded...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by 903L, Jul 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    #1 903L, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The dreaded Sim. In Scottsdale for my yearly recurrent Single Pilot Waiver training in the CE550,CES550, and CE560. There is nothing I loath more than recurrent training. I would rather have ball surgery without anesthesia. Is there anybody out there in chat land that actually enjoys recurrent training? If so, what is the secret? Do any of you enjoy the Sim?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I don't fly at your level, but love sim training. You get to practice stuff you'd never want to try for real, you can rapidly go back to the phase of flight you are having trouble with, rather than actually flying back to that point, and for we GA guys in summer the sim is not hot.

I can see the PITA factor of time and expense, and maybe there are facets of this level of sim that make it extra annoying, but what's not to like about any training (other than the inevitable embarrassing f-ups)?

3. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    There are 3 things pilots can count on in life...death, taxes, and recurrent training.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I enjoyed it. What I didn't enjoy was the checkride, particularly the circling approach.

91, if you can do progressive training, then it can be quite fun. Especially if you have a good instructor.

I just do in-aircraft training for now, which has the major benefit that I don't need to go anywhere to do it, and there are a few really excellent instructors who I use. But, that said, I miss being able to do some of the things you can do in the sim that you can't do in the airplane.

5. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Me too. You can do things that wouldn't be safe in your plane.

Art

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    5mg of valium 30 minutes before your sim...works for ball sugery too!

7. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    Progressive checks no longer allowed for Single Pilot Waiver. Full on ATP check ride in the sim to ATP PTS Standards. :( The sim does not fly anywhere near like the actual airplane. I have no problems with the instructors, they are all great guys. I just can't make friends with the sim. You would think after 20+ years of recurrent training I could at least hold hands with it.

8. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    😀😀 EUREKA!! That's it! That's the secret! Thanks Hannibal! Though I may need a larger dose or something stronger.

9. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    AMEN.

10. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    I fly at your level. I am Part 91 GA. The only difference is because I fly a jet over 12,500lbs MTOW, I have to go to training every year. Since my plane requires 2 pilots, I have to go through more intensive training to get a Single Pilot Waiver so that I may fly it Single Pilot. Even though I do not fly as a crew, I am still required to get a PIC 61.58 endorsement every year. Training would be fun if your ticket did not depend on it. Every year you have to worry about your medical and an ATP Checkride. I do not fly for a living but, I need my plane for my work.

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    One thing which makes any sim harder to fly than the airplane is the absence of g-forces. In an airplane, you feel when you pitch, even if it's subconscious, but the simulator gives you no such feedback.

What you have to do is try to mechanically nail the pitch. That will help in just about every aspect of hand flying.

Can you use the autopilot on the circling approach? I always found that greatly reduced the stress level as well.

12. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    Yes. You can use the AP for a circling approach. That is what I normally do. Though this year I was given a single Engine Localizer with a Circle to land. You may not use the AP on a Single Engine Approach. The second item on the checklist is to disengage thr AP. :/

13. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    #13 903L, Jul 24, 2015
    YAHOO! YEEHAW! Good for another year! SPW for the Citation II, SII, and V. Good-bye you big ugly POS Sim! Thanks for the encouraging words guys. WooHoo! So long Scottsdale. Till next year. SI-A-NORA! ( I would like to say though that SIMCOM Instructors are without a doubt the best. Just getting me thru proves that point. My Instructor this year was a former Navy Pilot and retired United Airlines 747 Captain, 35 years with UAL. Rarely does an idiot like me get to set down one on one with experience like that). But,...I'M STILL GLAD IT'S OVER!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    #14 903L, Jul 24, 2015
  15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Question, since I'm on the fringes of sim trainers; I've been told the Flight Training Devices (FTD) are stationary. So, no real g-forces. However, the opposite would be true with full-motion simulators, yes?

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Full motion simulators can generate some forces, but they can't push you down in your seat when you pitch up, nor lift you from your seat when you push.

The best they can do are some lateral G forces, and a little bit of pitch from turbulence.

17. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I go into the sim every 6 months......and hate it every time. I ace the sim training in my sleep. Its the Jeopardy questions during oral that I hate. In the end 90% of the stress is self induced.

So I feel your pain brotha.

18. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    SimCom has full motion level C Sims. Even with the motion, it is like Donv says, you really can't feel anything other than your seat moving back or sideways. They are really good at bouncing you around in turbulence from moderate to severe. You can to a wing busting positive or negative maneuver and not feel a thing.

19. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    You are indeed a fortunate man. I would give anything to be able to fly a Sim. I can hardly master the operation of a Sim seatbelt. On the other hand, bring on the Jeopardy questions. I have never had trouble with the Orals. (Hmm..That may not of come out right). I just plain Suck in the Sim. (Dang!...my sentences keep coming out wrong. Think I'll quit while I'm aHEAD. Damn!).

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What I always hated about sims was the visual approach. Half the time, it made me sick. Oh, and taxiing. I had an instructor in the Falcon 50 who made us taxi all the way from the ramp... ugh!

21. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    After over 35 years of flying IFR, I just learned from this last session that, when flying a visual approach to a runway that has an ILS, you are to back up your visual appch with the ILS and remain at least one dot above the glide slope while descending no more than 1000 FPM. ??? I had never heard of this reg before. Has anyone else? I usually do this at LAX or other large airports whether I'm on the ILS or visual just to stay above the big boy's vortices. But at smaller airports? If you are on a visual, it's probably VFR, so from now on I'll just cancel IFR and go VFR. Then I can approach however I want.

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Okay, thanks for the insight.

Question, would it be worthwhile (i.e. improve the simulation experience) to convert the FTDs into full-motion simulators?

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

One thing which full motion simulators can do pretty well is simulate the loss of an engine on a multiengine airplane. When I've flown FTDs, that's where I really noticed the difference. In the FTD, you really didn't feel anything, and just saw the ball move. In a real simulator, you feel the yaw.

24. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I enjoy SimCom every year.

25. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Recently finished my first type rating in my Eclipse Jet. The factory, as an alternative to the sim, offered an in-plane training program. I jumped at that as I wanted to build hours in the actual plane, and some RVSM time...my last plane only went to FL280.

Three weeks, 81 approaches, and countless re-fuels later, I took my check ride. By that time I was sick of the hotel, sick of the plane, scared out of my wits at the oral and the checkride...but I passed. First time I actually got to experience a flight with BOTH engines was the trip home.