Exciting 777 landing at Schiphol: | FerrariChat

Exciting 777 landing at Schiphol:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Jul 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm not sure that I would have wanted to be a passenger on this one. Kudos to the pilot for bringing it in safely.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ddnGzxNZs[/ame]

2. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    I've been on a couple of rough approaches like this and tip my hat to the pilots that bring these busses in safely every day!

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Hats off to the Controls Group guys who design for this sort of thing. Powerful spoilers and powerful ailerons. A strong main gear helps too.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    That wasn't so bad. In 99/2000 time frame I went to Cienfuegos Cuba with my brother. The pilot struggled to find the airport, no nav aids in Cienfuegos. He circled and circled and then suddenly dove for the runway. I landed on one side and this lasted for what seemed like a minute. We sat in the very front and the flight attendants jumps seats right in front of us. I said that was the scariest landing ever. 3 flight attendants nodded agreeing. It was so bad they didn't do an arrival announcement. Officials boarded the plane asking if anyone was hurt. That video was the closest I've seen to our landing.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    This video may have been speeded up some judging by how fast the vehicular traffic is moving at the bottom of the screen and frequency of the shaking bushes.

Also, the approach speed is quite a bit higher than pretty much all of the heavy crosswind videos I've seen.

Remember, this is a 777-300ER. It is longer than a 747 and pretty damn heavy. To get knocked around like that the winds would have to be extremely high.
    Usually in heavy gusts the wings would be flexing (shaking) up and down considerably at the tips. I'm just not seeing enough of that for the supposed buffeting this airplane is taking.

Now, If this was a 737 I would have no problem with what I'm seeing here.

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Winds were reported to be gusting to 75kts.

Pilot did a good job timing things. The actual touchdown appeared pretty smooth, at least compared to the flare.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Wow. This guy had his hands full, and that also explains the high approach speed.

8. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #8 LouB747, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That definitely would have hit an engine in the 747. That's a lot of bank down low! As it rolled to the right, you could see full aileron against the roll with no effect at first. That definitely would have had my full attention. I'd like to think I would have gone around, but it's really hard to say.

Food for thought.... Flying long range airplanes, I typically do 8 or so landings per month. I am actually at the controls for probably 3 of them. That's not many landings. I typically see maybe 1 day per year with landing winds over 20 kts. And there's a good chance that's down the runway. I can go years without doing a crosswind landing of any significance. So when those days come, it's a real handful. We don't practice crosswind landings in the sim. The next time I have a good crosswind (could be years!), I'll video it from the cockpit so you guys can see how it looks. A lot of control wheel movement to keep it level.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Interesting. I was at Schiphol on Saturday during this weather for about hour and a half, and I didn't notice any 747, or quad engined airplanes at all.

I didn't look at every plane coming and going, but I normally notice 747s (when I was a little boy I thought they where the coolest things ever. I still think they look cooler than the A380).

10. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    #10 RacerX_GTO, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was sitting at a window seat near the back of a 767 once when making a crosswind landing at PHL in gusty winds. Because of the angle of the aircraft relative to the runway, I could actually see the runway until just about the time we crossed the threshold. And the inboard aileron was flapping up and down like mad as the pilot attempted (relatively successfully) to keep the aircraft level.

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I hate flying.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I knew a United Airlines pilot who flew 727's for a while as PIC. He told me that the roll rate of that airplane was faster than a P-51. When he gave a landing to a copilot he always placed his hands palms up on his knees under the wheel in case the copilot over controlled when they were close to the runway surface. With no engines hanging off the wing and two ailerons and four spoilers on each side, it had plenty of quick power from a 3500psi hydraulic system.

15. wizzard

wizzard Karting

Nov 9, 2014
    Ditto with Lou an an engine in the ground. In the CL44 more than 7 degrees of bank would put an outboard prop into the ground. This made for very interesting crosswind landings.
    Lou-how much can you bank the 747 before you put the engine in the ground?

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #16 Bob Parks, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    I know that you asked Lou but I would like to help since I have some drawings handy. After accounting for strut compression I come up with an angle of 4.5 Degrees and that would allow for the inboard engine getting a strike also. A line from the wing gear out to the outboard engine touches the inboard too. It'll be interesting to hear from Lou. I made an error, the angle is 6.0 degrees. That's really weird. The first misteak I ever made

17. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, that's it Bob. 6 degrees bank at a 600,000 lb landing weight with 6 degrees pitch up. 6 degrees isn't a lot.

I believe the 747 is longer the 777-300. Maybe it's just the 747-8 that's longer. I really like the looks of the 777-300. Pretty plane.

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The -8 is indeed longer.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That was the last airplane that I worked on and it is a nice looking bird. I saw some pictures of the new 777-9X and that is even prettier and LOONG. I believe that it will be the longest airliner that Boeing will build.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Just under 252 feet in length.

21. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That is quite the landing with such a big bird.