Find | FerrariChat

Find

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Aug 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #1 Bob Parks, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a painting that I did of the 767 AOA when I was working in the program sometime in the1980's.The laser telescope fairing was redesigned after the aero guys were through with it. This image appeared in Aviation Week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Holy cow..that is incredible!

3. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Very cool, Bob! Thanks for sharing it!

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Interesting. Never heard of it until now. Similar to SOFIA and YAL-1.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    AOA , Airborne Optical Adjunct. An airborne laser telescope to intercept and destroy an incoming space threat. I don't believe that it is a secret now since the system has been installed on a 747 and published. An interesting story came out of that when the program was young and the laser people were continually adding things, heavy things , to the poor airplane. In one meeting the Boeing engineer asked the laser team if he had every been in a rowboat. Answer, "Yes." How many people? "Two". What would happen if you put 10 people in the boat? " It would sink." That's what you are trying to do to this airplane!! It will not be able to fly with all the crap that you are trying to put into it! The system is now in the 747.
    That painting wasn't much of a challenge, very clean and simple and at the time I was making the inboard profile drawing of the airplane with all the stuff in it.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #6 Bob Parks, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you for the kind comments. That was a pretty easy painting for me. I have done more complex stuff but this one did show what it was supposed to. Attached is one of my better efforts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That was 767 no. 1, wasn't it? I remember seeing it sitting down by the Museum of Flight for quite some time, still painted in the Boeing house colors of the time.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    yes, correct again, Jim.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#9 Tcar, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Ryan mail plane.... looks like Lindberg's plane except for the engine, etc.

Think I've seen this painting of yours before... here? In a book? Not in Gann's I don't think.

Not old enough to remember Colorado Airways, but I have heard of it here in Denver.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I probably posted this painting once before because it has never been published in a book. This was my third attempt to paint airplanes and I still think it is one of my better efforts. Colorado Airways won one of the 13 civil airmail contracts in 1926. The M-1 was the modified to become the Spirit Of St. Louis. Ten feet more wingspan, one additional bay in the fuselage (about 3 ft.), stronger landing gear, new Wright J-5 engine with spinner.

11. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    And the YAL-1 is dead, and aircraft rumored to be heavily contaminated from all the chemicals and such installed on that plane.

Was cool though...