707 Barrel Roll- 60 Years Ago | FerrariChat

707 Barrel Roll- 60 Years Ago

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Spasso, Aug 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In the early '90s, I was pleased to meet Tex Johnston, near the Museum of Flight, at one of Boeing Field's Flightfests. Naturally he was pushing his book, and sitting directly under the very airplane that he had barrel-rolled!

(And people forget that he was an air racer, too, having won the first postwar Thompson Trophy race in the Bell Cobra II.)

3. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
  4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have posted it before that I was there and saw both rolls, first to the north and the second to the south. I knew one of the engineers on the flight and he said that if your eyes were closed you wouldn't have known what was happening, 1G all the way around. When we were watching the incident a man next to me said that it wasn't a roll "because you can't do that with those big planes." When Tex performed the second one I asked the guy what that was and there was no answer. And I stood there with my 8mm movie camera down at my side because I was so stunned by what I saw. I did a little work on that -80 before it flew and I witnessed the gear collapse after the taxi tests and reworked some of our drawings to reflect the new design of the trunnion bearing supports. No one realized what an impact that airplane was to have on Boeing history and world airline history. The original basic layout is still the standard today on any successful jet transport.

Nurburgringer likes this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #5 BJK, Feb 19, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    new-er (Oct.'21) vid - long version with some history

Jump to 5:05 for full story of the stunt

Aug.'15 - The Seattle Times
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/60-years-ago-the-famous-boeing-707-barrel-roll-over-lake-washington/

Tex Johnston: “The airplane does not recognize attitude, providing a maneuver is conducted at one G.
    It knows only positive and negative imposed loads and variations in thrust and drag.
    The barrel roll is a one G maneuver and quite impressive, but the airplane never knows it’s inverted.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    From that particular point of view it looks like shedding lots of altitude from +/- 180º to 360º ......am I seeing that right? And would that typically be true of a 360?

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I'm glad that every time I have flown in a 707, it DIDN'T do a barrel roll!

8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I believe photo is reversed and 'colorized' from original, grainy b&w. (?)

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This is the original photo taken during the first roll heading north. Beacon Hill is below and Harbor Island and Elliot Bay are seen in the background. I have a 16 X 20 of this hanging in my studio. It isn't a colorized copy. I knew the flight engineer who was on this flight and he said that if his eyes had been closed he would never have known that they had done the maneuver. I also watched it from the west shore of Lake Washington and i exclaimed that he had done a roll and the guy next to me said, "NO! those big airplanes can't do that." Then Tex came back and did the same thing heading south. I asked the "expert" next to me , "What was that?" There was no answer.Test pilot, Dick Taylor, did 1/2 Cuban 8's in B-47's when he demonstrated lob bombing techniques so the "big" Boeings are quite capable if they are flown correctly.

NYC Fred and GatorFL like this.
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In that kind of roll you do loose a lot of altitude when going from the inverted because it isn't a slow roll that puts negative G on the airplane to maintain an altitude. You let the nose fall through while completing the roll . At the beginning of this maneuver you add some altitude and then loose it in the finish. I'm not sure what you are referring to with the 180/360. The airplane maintains the same general compass heading during the roll.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I KNOW. LOSE. Too many distractions.

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Poor reference to rotation.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm the one in error here. You are correct in the loss of altitude during the rotation. I was thinking of compass heading , so I stand corrected.