Need help finding Military surplus helicopters | FerrariChat

Need help finding Military surplus helicopters

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by F2003-GA, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Just for personal use in the Untied States? Good luck with that.... There are tons of cool aircraft and vehicles that people have been drooling over for years with pretty much zero success. A guy I work with would love to get his hands on an OV-10 Bronco and has the money to do it but it seems pretty much impossible unless you are a juiced in contractor or some variety of government agency.

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    The same thing happened after vietnam- that's why most of them didn't end up in civilian hands.

4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    #4 F2003-GA, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
  6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah, but it doesn't mean they will just sell them to anyone. It was only recently that you could buy a ratted out surplus hummer.

It always seems like there are one or two of an item that leak out, a few years ago I remember reading about a guy that ended up with an F-18 airframe.

Just to talk crazy.... What would be awesome is if someone was able to buy an Iranian F-14 and bring it back to fly here.

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The Iranian F-14s are the reason most of ours were scrapped. We wanted to ensure there were few second hand parts floating around to help the Iranians out.

Personally, I'd like something far more stupid, yet obtainable: Mig 25 - you can stand inside the afterburners!!! Think of the fuel consumption! Mach 3+.

Actually, I like Kelly Johnson designs. With enough resources, I'd love an early F-104A (or any Lockheed built version) and one of the Italian hotrod versions.

Regards,

Art S.

8. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    F-104s for sale are not hard to find...getting the feds to let you fly it is a bit more complicated...

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This guy has several F-104s:

Starfighters

10. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    ..OV-10 is one cool little twin turbo..
    ..esp w/a Gatling perched on the snout..
    Cheers,
    RE

11. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    It's probably expensive as hell to run but it seems a lot more realistic for most people.... An F-104 would be cool but it seems like a tricky beast that would kill you quick. The OV-10 seems like a poor mans A-10.

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think I remember reading the civilians can't have ejection seats. Anyone read or hear of this?

13. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Not correct.

14. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #14 solofast, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    While the OP is talking about what is most certainly a Jet Ranger, the military maintenance system isn't anything like that of the civil system. This means that things like log books aren't compatible while this is indeed common hardware, there is virtually no way the FAA will accept the maintenance records for a helo that you get as ex military.

That means that you would basically have to rebuild or replace all of the parts like the engine, main rotor gearbox, rotor system, tail rotor and engine before you could fly it as a civil aircraft.

It would be far less expensive to buy an old used up helicopter and restore it that it would be to try to get an ex-military helicopter a civil registration.

Government agencies such as state police or cities can get used government aircraft and there is a path that will let them fly them, but they can't subsequently sell them to the public with civil registration.

At one time there were a couple of programs that were doing re-engining of Huey's for the Border Patrol and for other government agencies, but I don't think that any of these are active right now.

There's also a lot of pressure not to sell these aircraft to other countries for a couple of reasons. The first is that this is considered lost sales of new aircraft for Bell and that is obviously an issue for them. It's also an issue since there's a ton of spares in these aircraft and the big money in aircraft are in spare parts. If these aircraft were parted out that would be millions in part sales lost for both Bell and others.

Rolls-Royce did a buyback deal with the Army when they re-engined the Kiowa Warrior for the sole purpose of keeping those engines out of the hands of the public, even though they had basically no use for these engines (although they are working on some deals that could get them back to use). With these engines RR would have to basically go through them and replace the time limited parts and zero time the engines and then they could sell them on the civil market because the hold the type certificate. Ether that or they can try to find ground use applications and sell them as is, but basically nothing on those engines can be used as flight hardware.

While these are basically Jet Rangers, tying to get one and use it as a civil aircraft isn't going to happen easily or inexpensively.

15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Probably need some licenses for various explosive bits.

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Thanks for the insight :)

17. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    bought a run out 206A cheap, without an air worthiness cert.... never again...
    it was a major money pit... more so for the amount of time it took and the money it tied up during that time... for almost 2 years it was in pieces, not useable, not sale able...just taking up space...with the expenses running wide open

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That's all I needed to know - I'll pass on them - What do think about a 3-4 year old R66 ?

19. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    don't know anything about the R66 to offer an opinion... the old cliche' "you get what you pay for" really applies to all helicopters...

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    In terms of numbers they are the best selling choppers in the world

I really like the new Jetranger but at 1M base it will probably run 1.2 out the door Home - Bell 505

21. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  23. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Just a heads up. I've been working as a helicopter mechanic for over 36 years and can confirm that you better have deep pockets to own one. Many components are on calender "life limits" as well as the "hourly life" parts so things are running out just sitting on the ground. There is no such thing as a "cheap" helicopter........

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Like Ferrari timing belts.............................................;)

25. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I'm now thinking more towards a 3-4 year old R66 - But must be low hours too :)