Emirates to initiate new "longest flight": | FerrariChat

Emirates to initiate new "longest flight":

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    From CNBC:

Emirates has launched the world's longest non-stop flight, with its new service between its home base of Dubai to Panama City expected to take 17 hours and 35 minutes.
    The flight, which will kick off in February 2016, will be on a Boeing 777-200LR – the world's longest-range jetliner - in a three-class layout; eight seats in first class, 42 in business, and 216 in economy.
    "Panama City will be our first destination gateway in Central America, providing a convenient option for our passengers travelling from or through our global hub in Dubai and onward to destinations throughout Central America, the Caribbean and the northern part of South America," said Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, chairman and chief executive of Emirates Airline.
    "We're also pleased to be the only commercial airline to offer a daily, first class service to travelers on what will be the world's longest non-stop flight," he said.

Tickets for Emirate's flight EK251, which will depart Dubai at 8:05am local time and arrive in Panama City at 4:40pm local time daily, are already on sale via the airline's website. The return flight EK252 will leave Panama City at 10:10pm, arriving in Dubai at 10:55pm the next day.

Currently, the longest flights available connect Dallas to Sydney (almost 17 hours), Johannesburg to Atlanta (16 hours 40 minutes), and Dubai to Los Angeles (16 hours 35 minutes), according to the AFP.
    Singapore Airlines had previously operated the world's longest flight - an all-business class flight from Singapore to New York that shuttled passengers between Changi and Newark within approximately 19 hours - but it terminated this service in late-2013 amid high fuel prices and subdued demand for premium travel.

Those flights could soon come back, however. According to a Bloomberg report, the airline is in talks with Airbus and on Boeing on developing a plane with new technology that would allow it to fly non-stop to the U.S. profitably.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    God. 17 1/2 hours in economy?

3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    2 beers in the bar before boarding to wash down 30mg of Temazepam has been known to make this length of flight a "non-event."

4. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

I did 23 in coach last month, Bangalore India to Los Angeles, across three flights. Longest flight was 8,050 miles Doha to Houston. Torture.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I've been on a near 17 hour flight from ATL to South Africa in coach. It was brutal...never want to do it again.

6. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Anyone ever been on Loganair 312?

A brutal 1.7 mile flight! :)

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Singapore and Thai Airways both HAD A340-500s. Both for periods of time had New York and LAX to their hub (Singapore, Bangkok respectively). Thai Airways was quoted that they needed a 110% load factor to break even. The aircraft were operating on their rang limits so they could take very little commercial freight which was another problem.

I used to do the LAX-BKK run regularly. Rumor had it there was a coach section somewhere.
    Thai Airways told me that the seat yield on their BKK-LHR was higher than what they could get on LAX or JFK run.

At least 2 of the SIA -500s have ben sold and are being converted to VIP.

The 777-20LR has about 30-45 minute more range than the A340-500.

Jeff

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#8 Tcar, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    A vid is online... the taxi and takeoff almost take as long as the flight. Taxi to landing is less than 4 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AypuEXGgQzc

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Another video taken from the ground; from one spot you can watch the entire flight!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZ3MCu4RkQ[/ame]

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Didn't someone once have a flight from San Francisco to Oakland? That must have been pretty short as well.

11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Would be easy to remind to somebody this type or airplane. I'm trying to find it as a scale model..and i can't remember it!

Thank you.

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek: Really?......

May have been different back in the "good ol' days", but I'm pretty sure that nowadays you could *walk* it faster!......

Cheers,
    Ian

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I flew LA to Melbournne non stop on a Dreamliner-- 15h 45 minutes in coach.

Honestly, not that bad. But then I do SFO / Hong Kong 8 times a year and those are usually over 12.

It's the crews who have the tough job on these long hauls.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My parents did a SFO flight to Oakland. I think it was PSA. The reason was to catch a flight out of Oakland after landing into SFO.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This is the only kit that I know of it.

Britten Norman Islander / Defender, Airfix 03067 (2006)

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think it was mostly so they could pick up passengers at both airports before departing. Not too many people actually took it between SFO and OAK.

17. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Likely to replace the 747SPs that were being operated.

18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Don't think so. Nothing in that group is ever sold. They still have a G-III that I did for the prior owner back at the start of the 1990s.

Jeff

19. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Luckily for me Panama City and Dubai are two places I never need to see. :)

20. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    They had the -SP (at least one, but IIRC both were) up for sale about 5 years back. I still have a copy of the ad somewhere along with pictures of the interiors. I think they never got their asking price and instead refurbished them.

21. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Imagine the passengers in the last row with seats that do not recline. No doubt, the seats in front of the last row will recline with ease.

The Austin to Houston route is difficult for the stewardess. I think the stewardess has just over 20 minutes, to take drink orders and serve everybody. The flight immediately begins the descent just after reaching it's ceiling. It is a 737 rollercoaster.

22. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    In a demonstration of the B-52s global reach, on 16–18 January 1957, three B-52Bs made a nonstop flight around the world during Operation Power Flite, covering 39,165 km (21,145 nm, 24,325 statute miles) in 45 hours 19 minutes (536.8 smph) with several in-flight refuelings by KC-97s. The 93rd Bomb Wing received the Mackay Trophy for their accomplishment.

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    And that refueling operation from a prop driven KC-97 to a near stalling B-52 was a dicey and dangerous situation. The KC-97 had to run almost flat out down hill to stay at a B-52's speed as it got heavier.

24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    They still have one but there is a different one in San Jose that is with Fry's. That one I have seen listed for sale on Controller.

Jeff

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Had they fitted the auxiliary jet engines to those KC-97s yet, Bob?

Of course, that's what led to the genesis of the KC-135, and as a result, the 707.