Eielson AFB, Alaska Spots | FerrariChat

Eielson AFB, Alaska Spots

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Aug 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Driving by on highway had awesome spots! 15+ F-16, 6+ F-15, and 8+ F-18. Really surprised such little security, just little chainlink fence between highway. Also looked like they leave the planes open on the ramp. How hard would it be to have a big cheap hangar.

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Hangars are probably pretty pricey in AK. My dad was in the USAF so I grew up around planes, it was common to see all the above and more a chain link fence away from a local road. My best spot was a U-2 taking off at Patrick AFB, it was extremely loud. I'm guessing a Cuba overflight but who knows. Second best was an F-15 trainer doing touch and goes at Wright Patterson, I was probably 12 years old. It came in and did another every couple of minutes for 15-20 minutes. And when I was 15 I got to go to a portion of mission control for a shuttle launch. That was cool.

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The lack of covered parking/hangers was always something that surprised me as well. There does seem to be a lot move covered parking going up in the last 5-10 years and from my casual observation a lot of it is driven by high temps which can be problematic for electronics. Obviously not much needed in Alaska.

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Are you here in Fairbanks? Please send me a PM. They are having a big exercise out at EIL now. Usually it's a much quieter place but when the two squadrons of F-35s show up I think that will change. I flew out of Eielson for 24 years, it's a great place to fly.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm in Tok now, will be in Wrangells today if we can fly-in. Scheduled to get out 31st and then back to Texas 1st. If I come out early and have extra day in Fairbanks I will let you know. Reminds me we have FerrariChat user everywhere. :)