ATC clears pilot to land where there is no airport | FerrariChat

ATC clears pilot to land where there is no airport

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FERRARI-TECH, Aug 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
  2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The controller was relying on memory. There had been a landing strip there for 60 years as part of the Grumman plant. The problem is that the plant closed and the strip has since been developed into an industrial park. From the sight of the crash the supposed runway couldn't have been more then a 1/4 of a mile, but I'm sure he saw nothing but buildings. Very unfortunate.

4. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I'm sure the controller feels horrible. Bad deal all around.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I used to work at that plant. When I left in 1993, the runway had been closed for several years but it was still mostly intact, aside from some condos built on the southern end. Over the ensuing years, more and more of the runway disappeared under industrial construction, and the last vestige - the extreme north end - was bulldozed about 5 years ago. On my last visit to L.I., I drove down the road through the industrial park on what had been the approximate runway centerline, and it felt downright strange! It's odd that a controller would not have known that the runway was long gone.

6. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Kind of sounds like the airport was still on his scope overlay. The way he was calling the aircraft's position in relation to the runway couldn't have been from memory. He was looking at something. The FAA busts pilots for out of date charts...maybe they should be busting themselves more often.