American flies non ETOPS A321 to Hawaii from LAX | FerrariChat

American flies non ETOPS A321 to Hawaii from LAX

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by beast, Sep 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #2 Ak Jim, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Probably the first time either pilot has flown etops operations and they were probably trained by a memo.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I was looking at the FAA's list of enforcement actions and it's shocking to see how many people are fined on a regular basis. Makes you wonder why.

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Be careful looking at such items. Make sure it is a violation of real underlying substance not just a BS paperwork. This is particularly true with maintenance facilities. The FAA can sit in a nice air conditioned office and go through piles of papers looking for discrepancies without ever looking at what is happening on the aircraft; no getting dirty or sweaty this way.

Great paperwork does not necessarily equate to quality of work on the aircraft.

6. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm just taking a guess, but I believe the aircraft was ETOPS certified, but not current. ETOPS requires routine inspections just for that. I think they did a tail swap for one reason or another and the dispatcher didn't know that the ETOPS inspection hadn't been completed which is a function of the maintenance department.

7. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    My guess is a repair on the landing gear door where the ETOPS logo was applied was swapped somehow..

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Remember, all things being equal, a twin is only 50% as likely to experience an engine failure as a 4-engine and a single only 50% as likely vs a twin. Therefore to minimize your exposure to risk of engine failure on long over water flights only fly singles!;)