citation X flying costs | FerrariChat

citation X flying costs

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by scycle2020, Sep 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    The citation X would be a perfect jet for my family use given it's superfast speed and non stop continental US range. I think I could get a 10 year old version for5-6 million. We probably use it 200 hours a year. I know a Netjets type arrangement would be less expensive but what do think annual cost to fly this would be. This would be 2 pilots, fuel , maintenance and hanger costs. Any estimates would be appreciated.

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
  4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    so if I'm reading that right, for the OP's use it would be a $1.5mm/yr expense plus acquisition cost?

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

It's higher than the balls on a giraffe !

6. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    One thing good about the Ten is that the engines are really designed for airline duty. That is, they have a long life and I doubt that you'd ever fly them enough to need to overhaul them.

They were designed to be used for 18 hours a day 7 days a week for years without major maintenance. What was interesting is that the airlines paid about the same rate for power by the hour as the guys flying helicopter engines (this was when I was at RR). The reason for that is that the 3007 cost about 10 times as much as a helo engine, but it lasted about 10 times longer.

I'm sure RR pops the "rich" Citation X users a lot more for power by the hour than an airline, but that's just the ability to do so than reality.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That seems in the ballpark.

Just curious, is that significantly more or less than you would have guessed?

8. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I think it's pretty accurate, except I think that PDF used 2010 fuel prices. They're higher now.

Mark

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    fixed costs seemed higher than I would have expected, but I still would have guessed over $1mm/yr

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    No, everything else is higher but fuel is lower.

11. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #11 joker57676, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting. I thought we were still up on 2010 prices, so I googled and found this. Not accurate?

(Genuinely asking, not being a smart ass).

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    @200+ hours a year NetJets would be a lot more expensive.

Are you coast to coast every week? That's what a Citation X is for. What's your most common mission?

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't know if that chart is accurate or not, but the pdf assumed $5.41/gallon, and I can tell you that's higher than typical these days.

At my home airport, for instance, the list price of jet-a out the door is around $3.10-3.15/gallon, depending on which FBO you go to. That's before any discount programs.

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Citation X has a lot of speed but uses high power setting to get it. Look at the numbers for LRC and see the fuel flow drop a lot.

There are a quantity of aircraft that will do coast-to-coast at lower fuel burns.

Talk to JSSI for their tip-to-tail coverage pricing to get a good number on what someone will sell you maintenance coverage for.

As a friend once described it the initial cost can be financed but the operating cost are real money.

15. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Gotcha, thanks. I didn't notice the fuel price used in the pdf was that high. My error.

Mark

16. Maciej

Maciej Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    NNJ
    Full Name:
    Maciej
    On the east coast I'm seeing mid to high $4/gal Jet-A pricing.

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That seems reasonable, depending on your mix of destinations. You can typically reduce that a bit by using various fuel programs.

On another note, what's the deal with the OP? I always wonder why people post something like this and then never come back and post anything again... were the numbers listed in line with what he/she was thinking, completely crazy, or what?

18. Maciej

Maciej Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    NNJ
    Full Name:
    Maciej
    People don't realize owning an aircraft is a lot like owning a race car, the cheapest part of doing it is the actual initial purchase.

19. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Look at the link I posted. This is not the first thread from him like this.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thats my experience. Most think at 3k an hour that its about doable to do the private jet thing. People forget they either have to do something with the plane or something with the pilots once they get to there destination. So, no matter what you are paying for commerical flights to your destination. You are just making your pilots fly commercial. GOD FORBID if there flight is canceled... or delayed and miss a connecting flight. You have to pay for all the meals, any changes, hotel stay (they wont stay in a motel 6) rental car (they are not going to walk) and on and on. Then you have to pay them to come back and get you which almost always involves them flying in the night before. Which again involves hotel and rental car.

The ownership of the airplane is no small task either. It really pays to have someone manage it.

That plane will cost in excess of 600k just to sit in a hangar for a year (thats not just hangar cost)

Plus you have to send a pilot to school every other year for the price of a ivy league schools 1 year tuition. Then I believe that plane has a inspection every other year for 80k plus whatever they say is wrong.

A two pilot private jet is no small expense. There is no way to justify the expense other than... I do it because I can afford it.

200hrs is quite a bit of flying time.

It seems once you tell someone it costs 16k to go from Arizona to somewhere in the south... there face turns pale. That bird is fast and its not because it flaps its wings. It burns and burns and burns fuel.

21. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hey, why even worry about fuel cost at this level. What is the most important commodity? In this instance it may be time, the one thing we cannot ever buy back.

22. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Most any private plane is much much faster than commercial. Doesn't have to be a Citation X.

23. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  24. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I always tell prospective buyers to half their budget, the other half will take care of expenses for a while. Nobody ever takes into consideration all the "Oh by the ways". Brokers, Management companies etc are all about the sale. If every perspective owner was given the actual costs up front......there would be some stalled sales.