Thinking of picking this up for my LA-SF commute | FerrariChat

Thinking of picking this up for my LA-SF commute

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by redline76, Oct 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Price of entry is cheap. Price to keep your a$$ safe is much greater.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    If you're serious, I know the best shop in the business to maintain it, but bring your (and everyone else's) checkbook.

Mark

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that day is sooner than later, I'm afraid :(

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you read the fine print, it says "after one violation." So you do get a freebie... One way around that is to schedule a "noise test" with the airport. I thought I had a new technique which would work. It didn't? My bad.

Wait, I need another test-- I have another idea!

Actually, you'd be crazy to fly that thing out of SMO anyway. LAX would be a much better choice, and not that far away. Just be sure to land on the south complex, or you might run out of fuel while taxiing.

8. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Thanks Mark. The smiley at the end was my acknowledgement that I wasn't terribly serious- I don't have a PPL and you probably need a bit more training before they let you in one :)

I was more amazed at the fact that you can get a minty MiG 21 for that price, although much like everything fun, it's just the price of admission.

To me it's like the equivalent of seeing a classified ad for an M60 tank or an M2 .50- this kind of stuff just doesn't go into private hands much, or at least doesn't seem like it would be allowed to.

Warren.

9. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    I literally LOL'ed when I read that list trying to imagine half those planes lined up for a full thrust takeoff at SMO.

"The neighbors would not be happy"

For those unfamiliar, look up SMO- it's smack dab in the middle of some not-inexpensive real estate and as property values continue to climb there's a strong push to ban jets or even not renew the lease for an airport altogether. One MiG takeoff and it'd be lights out.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I used to work at SMO, great airport with a TON of history, not to mention very convenient to west LA ;) but the ultimate "NIMBY" facility. I hope it carries on, but I wouldn't bet on it.

and yes, a Mig taking off from there would go over like a fart in a spacesuit.

11. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Chino or Van Nuys house a ton of war birds. That's where you would want to be.

I figured, but you never know. :)

Mark

12. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If that was my commute I'd get one of these to do the job Sonex -- The Sport Aircraft Reality Check!

Saw one at Oshkosh this year and talk about "personal" size wise.. just sit in and wrap it around you.. with a built in parachute offered you don't need much crash protection anyway ;)

13. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    Darn Nurburgringer.... you beat me to it. I was pretty amazed to see you can buy a MIG-29! Its only 4 million more than the 21.

Also the Mig-29 has not been banned by SMO yet.

Amazing a T-38 project (warehouse of parts at that!) is $350K. I guess a T-38 is worth a lot more than a 21 since it can actually be used?

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    T-38 has a lot of advantages as a personal aircraft. It can carry two people, it's relatively efficient (in comparison to other jet warbirds), there are a lot of parts around, it performs well, and it's incredibly sexy looking.

I see it's not on the SMO banned list, either! Although I can't imagine it could pass their noise restrictions, given that the Lear 24 can't, and they have the same basic engines.

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Every takeoff in the Talon is a burner takeoff...my bet is that it can't fly anywhere most people want to go as so many places have noise restrictions. Many places we used to fly into were happy to see us as they were set up to turn mil jets...had APUs, palouste units, etc. Not so much anymore. Get used to refueling in places out in the middle of nowhere...gets old fast.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Thunderbirds hated their T-38s because they could not aerial refuel and had very limited range. Took several hops from Indian Springs/Nellis to get anywhere.

Any afterburning turbo-jet eats kerosene-based fuel out the kazoo. Much worse than the later low-bypass, after-burning turbo-fans. Trip costs would be horrendous. USAF aircraft came with a credit card for fuel if you needed to land at a civil airport. Doubt anything similar comes with the Mig. Never mind about maintenance costs.

17. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Somebody really needs to design and build a two seat jet that will go 1500 miles, looks like the Talon, flies at 350-400 knots, and costs under $200,0000. I guess I still think like a little kid...

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They tried to do that here in Albuquerque, but it did not work out too well and the price was a bit less than $1M originally. Did not look like a T-38, had four seats , so 2 for 4.

19. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    I'm sure the People's Republic of Santa Monica would welcome that baby with open arms. Probably give you a key to the city and a waiver to conduct operations after 10:00pm. I say Go for it!

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Cessna is trying (okay, it doesn't look as good as a T-38, but still):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textron_AirLand_Scorpion

If they get some military sales (which isn't looking promising at the moment), they want to build a civilian version alongside.

21. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
  22. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    That's pretty cool, but clearly it will be bucket loads of money just because it looks like it should be.

I work in Grand Forks occasionally and there's a model of some v tailed single engine four seater hanging from the terminal ceiling...it looks like the right idea. Presumably built by a local company...I don't know.

23. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #24 joker57676, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think Lanciar Evolution is about the closest you can get to the parameters you mentioned above. It's obviously not a jet, but can move down the road a little.

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will