New Bomber | FerrariChat

New Bomber

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Oct 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Should we congratulate you, Jim?
    Northrop-Grumman gets the new bomber instead of Boeing.

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I have a feeling that Boeing / L-M will protest this one.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My uncle was an aerospace engineer in Southern California from the 50's to the 70's. Every time there was a new contract he had a new employer and the traffic patterns changed in LA. from all the guys changing their commute from one factory to the other. I think he worked for every one of them down there.

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    That's always the way it goes.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remember an engineer from the LA area that came to work for Boeing said that it was an inhale of workers for one company of those who had been exhaled by another. No long term allegiance to anybody.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So I'm curious. What is this new project that we will sink a couple of billion into, spreading the money around to subcontractors in the important congressional districts only to cancel it all before a meaningful or useful number of aircraft are completed supposed to be?

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It's something like that, yeah. Happens all the time.

8. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Here is the word from military.com:Northrop Wins Contract to Build US Military's Future Stealth Bomber | Military.com

"The next-generation bomber will be designed to fight through surface-to-air missiles, as well as electronic and information attack. It will also accommodate lasers and directed-energy systems, hypersonic missiles and other new and emerging technologies."

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Think you are off by an order of magnitude;).

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I suspect so.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We already kind of did that with the B2.

Lets see, that cost us over 44 billion and we got 20 of them

That comes to..................

Don't get me wrong. I am a big supporter of the military but these projects are just stupid.

For the kind of money we are spending and the value we get from it we could just make direct payments to our enemies to leave us alone. The Saudi's have been doing that with the Yemeni's for a long time.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Maybe we can sell a few directly to the Chinese rather then have them steal the technology and try to reverse engineer themselves. Might help even up those one sided "free trade agreements" Clinton signed!!

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've worked at all three companies (Boeing, LM and NG) and I have a financial stake in all three as well, so the way I looked at it is that I win either way!

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The A.F. will be lucky, if they procure 50 airframes.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I thought the exact same when I heard the announcement. With the B2 being near $1 billion a piece I wonder how much this thing will go for. Maybe $3 billion a pop when they cancel the program early?

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #16 Rifledriver, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Individual units were close to 1 billion but the entire program amortized to about 2+ billion per.

Then we have the F22 that was not built in numbers that made R&D and tooling costs pencil out. We are in the middle of doing the same with the F35 and now we are running off copies of a contract to do it all over again with a new bomber program and DC is full of elected officials that cannot look the voters in the eye and tell us we need it in a convincing way and cannot look the Pentagon and the lobbyists in the eye and say no, so we have another colossal cluster **** that will cost the tax payers another hundred billion for nothing.

And DC wonders why the voters are pissed off.

Has there been a successful combat aircraft program since the F16?

I didn't follow the C17 program so I have no idea how that went.

Lets see, what is it you call it when you do the same thing over and over with the same unsatisfactory result?

I call it Washington DC.
    23 square miles full of stupidity and corruption and surrounded by reality.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #17 tazandjan, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Politics and McCain always get in the way of any USAF combat aircraft procurement program. He led the charge against both the B-2 (132 programmed originally) and the F-22 (700+ programmed originally) so that the programs were cancelled just when economies of scale were in the offing. " Not relevant." Would sure be nice to have both those fleets right now instead of sending onesies and twosies to hot spots. Very relevant with the Chinese and Russians saber rattling.

The LRS-B will have unbelievable capabilities, eventually including the ability to be flown unmanned like an oversized Reaper. A $500M Reaper. Assuming McCain does not get after it, too, so he can spend the money on carriers.

Congratulations to N-G. I have been inside the cockpit of a B-2 at N-G's facility and it is pretty impressive.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Too bad the Vietnamese didn't keep him, or that missile on the Forrestal didn't go a little more to the right.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have talked to some navy pilots who didn't have many nice things to say about John when they were flying with or near him. I don't remember the name of the carrier but it was the one that had the missile accidentally fire from an aircraft that caused a holocaust of fire and explosions. I was told that it came from John's airplane.I don't know how much truth is in it but that is what I remember.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Forrestal aka "Forrestfire"

An old friend and ex A4 pilot was a shipmate of his and was in the squadron ready room when it hit the fan on the Forrestal has never had a good word to say about him as a sailor or pilot. Helps when Dad and Grampa are/were both flag officers.

The missile hit his plane, not launched from it as I recall.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Dramatization of meeting around B2, as chronicled in the movie "Head Office":

Max Landsberger: Since the 1984 oil discovery in New Guinea, we have sold the Bu!kais hill tribesmen 20 of our S-24 fighters. At $21 million per unit, that's $252 million. This has started a local arms race between the Bu!kais, and their local neighbors the Kla!klalas. Now the Kla!klalas also happen to be sitting an a large amount of oil. And now the Kla!klalas want to buy 20 of our new X-24/X-Ray Ultra Pursuit fighters for a total of $480 million.

Pete Helmes: What are the chances of war between them?

Bob Nixon: Very good sir. Our spare parts replacement contracts could be very lucrative.

Pete Helmes: Who trains their flight personnel?

Max Landsberger: Well, as near as we can assess it... well... they don't actually fly the planes. They sort of roll them down hills... crashing them into each other.

Scott Dantley: Personally, I think that it's a shameful waste of incredible kill power.

Pete Helmes: Make the deal.

Bob Nixon, Scott Dantley: Absolutely.

22. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Kind of P&R, so mods feel free to delete if deemed inappropriate. I've resigned myself to look at it like this: The government is going to waste massive amount of money no matter what. I'd rather them be giving it to aerospace companies who are at least training and employing a generation of engineers, computer guys, technicians, and other highly skilled people. We also get trickle down civilian technology from this. If nothing else, think of it as keeping our population able to design and build advanced war fighting equipment, whether or not we actually end up building much of it. I'd rather see them shovel $50 billion to a bunch of engineers and scientists who are working hard for it, than for example give that same $50 billion to illegal welfare recipients or to study the mating practices of the pink toed salamander or whatever.

They say that unused construction and design technology can get lost quickly if it is not used, so how much of stuff like this is really more about keeping defense companies up and running as opposed to building something we really need?

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nathan- We are still flying B-52s, the last of which were built under a 1962 contract, so we need the LRS-B. Neither the B-52 nor the B-1B can penetrate an advanced IADS, so that leaves only 21 B-2s that can do that job. Not enough, especially with bomber readiness rates.

Brian, Bob- On the McCain and the missile on the Forrestal, makes you wonder if someone was trying to get him with a little fratricide. Two flag relatives? No wonder he is a mess. Proverbial silver spoon attitude.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Both 4 star.

25. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yep... and he's a Navy guy... "more carriers".

Stars or not, he did do the Hanoi Hilton...