Best WWII Aviation Books? | FerrariChat

Best WWII Aviation Books?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ND Flack, Nov 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    I had a stack of them as a kid -- God is my Co-Pilot, The Big E, Fly for Your Life, 30 Seconds over Tokyo, couple of books on the P-38 that I can picture but not remember the title of, etc. -- but they're either gone or in a box somewhere.

In need of some new reading material - what are your favorite WWII aviation books?

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Speaking about memoirs, try "They gave me a Seafire" by Commander R. "Mike" Crosley, Royal Navy (Airlife, 1986). That is, if You Can find it...
    Jeffrey Quill's authobiography: "Spitfire, a test pilot story" is also a favorite of mine.
    Rgds

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    These titles are not so much about the airplanes as they are about the the people that flew them. All are enlightening, fantastic reads: "Flyboys", "Unbroken", "The Forgotten 500".

4. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Pierre Clostermann,s "The big sky" is an excellent read.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you haven't read Unbroken, you should. Another one which covers some of the same ground is Baa Baa Black Sheep.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Over the years, I've read many of the biographies/autobiographies of the WW II aces, and they were all enjoyable; basically nonfiction that read like fiction. Samurai, Wing Leader, The First and the Last, Thunderbolt, The Big Show (mentioned above), Reach for the Sky - all good reads.

7. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Awesome - thanks yall!

8. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Available on kindle for $10! Just bought. Thanks!

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Also not strictly a WWII book, but "A Hostage To Fortune" by Ernest K. Gann is excellent, and well worth reading.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Gann wrote many good books, all of them dealt with the dangers of early airlines or early WW2 . Any of them is good reading; Fate Is The Hunter, The High and Mighty, Island In The Sky, and his first, Blaze Of Noon.And the one that I illustrated, Ernest K. Gann's Flying Circus. Look them up.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Reach for the Sky

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I remember that when I was young, Ballantine Books published a lot of great paperbacks on aviation and military subjects. They had been 35 cents originally, but by the time I got to them they had gone up to 50 cents. I still have many of them!

13. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I recently re-read Yeager, and I enjoyed it again.

14. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    "Wings On My Sleeve"

the Eric Winkle Brown story, most accomplished test pilot in history

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Among non-biographies, I always liked Martin Caidin's nonfiction titles, many of which were also issued on Ballantine paperbacks. To me the best of the lot was "The Ragged, Rugged Warriors".

16. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Excellent -- this should keep me busy through christmas, at least :)

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Buy a good used copy of Gann's "Flying Circus" (Amazon?) with Bob's color illustrations... you'll want to keep it in your Library.

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Also, don't miss Caiden's "Samurai", about Saburo Sakai, the great Japanese ace from WWII.
    Great book. Sakai lived to be 84 and told the story.

19. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Couple already mentioned, Pierre Clostermann's books are a great read, Jeffery Quill as well.

An American story I really enjoyed was Tumult in the Clouds by James Goodson, he flew with some American legends.

Guy Gibsons "Enemy Coast Ahead" . Paul Brickhills, Dam Busters and Battle of Britain.

Many more including Douglas Bader, Adolf Galland are all good reads.

But the best told in the most human and compelling way is Geoffrey Wellum's book
    "First Light".

Not a lot of bravado in that one, really lets you feel how **** scared most of those boys really were.