Garage Find | FerrariChat

Garage Find

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Nov 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #1 LouB747, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Funny, I was cleaning the garage yesterday and came across some things I haven't seen in a very long time. My "first solo" shirt. Do they still cut your "tail feathers" anymore? Second, my 747 type ride temporary certificate.

So looks like I've been flying for about 32 years with more than 1/2 of it in the left seat of a 747. Damn time flies!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm beginning to get the idea that I'm old, too. I was born 40 years before you were. I soloed almost exactly 20 years before you were born. I retired from 42 years at Boeing on 2-1-92, the year that you got your ATP. Then I went back to the kite factory for another five years. You have done very well for yourself, Lou.

3. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Eighty nine Bob? That's awesome. Big one coming up! Funny how the days roll one into the other. Yeah, flying has been good to me. The 747 is the only jet I've ever flown. It would be funny to retire like that.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Only jet that you have flown is a 747! That is a great career and I would have traded with you in a flash! Yeah, 89 snuck up on me. I still enjoy my early days of flying but without the motions now. It never goes away.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Lou, we're almost exactly the same age, and soloed within a month of each other!

6. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, only the 747. Kinda strange.

Really, approx. same age and same solo. That's cool. Yeah, soloed at 16, but close to 17th BDay. Got my private pilot a few days after my 17th BDay.

Years 21 - 28 United Express (EMB110 FO, EMB120FO, EMB120 Capt, BA3100 Capt)
    Years 29 - 32 Polar (B747 SO, FO, Capt)
    Years 32 - Now NCA (B747 Capt)

People ask me what it's like to fly the 747, and I really can't give a comparison. 747-8 GWT is 987,000. Next closest for me is EMB-120 at 25,353. Nothing in between. Both are fun to fly.

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Pretty cool that you have been doing what you love for 30+ years. I am 3 years 7 days older than you and still want to find time to learn and fly solo. The closest I have come has been simulator time in a T-39, F-4E and F-15A and a incentive ride in a F-15B at 14. Unless you count my flight time racing motocross :)

8. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm about to take my 16 year old son on his first introduction to flying. Hoping the flying bug bites him.

9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Most instructors do still cut off your shirt tail.
    Cool find.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lou- Great memories.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    How times have changed . After I soloed my log book was signed and I went home. It was no big thing, a big war was just over and lots of pilots had soloed for the past 4 years and I had not done anything that was note worthy. i don't know when the shirt tail thing started.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Brasilia is one of only two propeller-driven airliners that I've flown in (the Dash 8 was the other). Lou, how did you like the EMB-120?

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I didn't do the shirt tail thing either, July 3, 1983... For whatever reason, the flight school I was going to didn't do that.

When I was a CFI, I used to do it, though... if the student wanted. Sometimes they were like, "Hey! That's a nice shirt!"

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Same here...soloed on my 16th birthday, February 1981, then opened the door back up to let my CFI back in for the next lesson. I only had 7.5 hours at that point, so I guess he was still nervous. I remember getting lost on a crosscountry just a few days later. I never, ever got lost again after over 3000 hours in single pilot jets...right!

15. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, I got a little lost on my first solo x country.

Brasilia, loved it. At the time it was the fastest turboprop out there (300 kts). 5 tube EFIS. It felt like a big airplane. Flight Attendant was a big plus in many ways. Some of the best years were flying that as a captain (23 - 27). Then WestAir (United Express) sold the 6 Bae 146s and I was pushed from the Brasilia to the Jetstream. What a disappointment compared to the Brasila.

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that I mentioned it once before. I got lost on my long X-country over the back country of Florida, no roads, no landmarks except alligator holes. Flying due north with a nervous compass meant that I understood the term "Dead Reckoning".

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My Brasilia flight was a round-trip between Islip and Dulles. On the southbound trip we flew quite high, I recall about 22,000 feet. This was before 9/11, and the pilots kept the flight deck door open the entire trip. I went up there and discovered that they had recently been transferred from the west coast and were still learning the landscape. Ironically, while I was looking over their shoulders, I could see Three Mile Island coming up ahead and pointed it out to them.

On the return trip we flew much lower, around 8,000 feet if I recall. We flew right past Dover AFB, with a lot of C-5s very much in evidence on the ramp, and flew over the ocean to Long Island, a much different route from the southbound trip.

18. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Did you fly the 146 Lou?

19. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #19 LouB747, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I came close to 146 FO, but when the time came I took 120 captain. Found this old pic in the garage too. Flew the Bandierante for about 500 hrs.

They say the 146 is the only airplane with 5 APUs. Panel looked really cool. Sorta 747 like. Rode in it a few times. Soft trailing link gear.

20. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Damn. I'm writing a book on the 146. Would have been good to get some stories from you.

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

United used to fly a 146 from Denver to Santa Barbara (late 90's maybe?). Rode on it a couple times.

Seemed like a long flight for that plane.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The 146 is the only British airplane I've ever flown in, and coincidentally the only aircraft I've ever been on that had an aborted takeoff! This was also on United Express.

On a takeoff roll at Dulles, the pilot suddenly chopped the throttles, braked the airplane, and pulled off onto a taxiway and stopped. In the next few minutes he advanced and retarded the throttles twice, and then we headed back to the head of the runway. He announced that they had had a warning light on the panel and needed to check it out, and verified that only the warning light was at fault. We took off normally and flew to Daytona Beach. (Bloody British electrics!)

Incidentally, on that flight, sitting across the aisle, was a celebrity that I had actually already met in the past: the late Al Oerter, four-time Olympic discus champion.

23. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    During my solo, I landed on the wrong runway. I had practiced all previous landings with the instructor on 29R. During my solo the tower cleared me for 29L, I repeated the instructions and then landed on 29R. Too much going on in my mind that day. Another amusing story...When I took my instrument check ride I did quite well, except for the landing, I really bounced it on. The instructor, Jack Titus out of KSMF, sat me down in his office and said, "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is you passed the instrument exam. The bad news is that after that landing I'm going to have to take away your private pilots license." I'll never forget that, I though he was serious for about 3 extremely long seconds until I saw him crack a smile.

24. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    My older brother soloed at 15 back in 1985. He had to wait until 16 for his license. He got the pilots before getting his drivers license. I only took lessons. My Dad "forced" us to get lessons. His reasoning was if he had a heart attack or something in the air, his kids would be able to safely find an airport and land.

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    If you get a chance try a 777-200F. I hear good things about it's performance.