Educate me on vintage doctor-killers | FerrariChat

Educate me on vintage doctor-killers

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GrigioGuy, Nov 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #1 GrigioGuy, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This machine has been for sale locally for a while. I'm not -really- in the market for anything, but the purchase price is starting to look very attractive.

I've hear the early Bonanzas are dangerous, but surely something that's been in the air 65 years has been repaired by now.

Is this a good first bird? Especially for learning on/gaining the basic license?

Price reduced !!!! 1950 Beech Bonanza 225HP V tail

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    That panel looks and sounds scary. Do you have your instrument ticket?

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    No ticket. I was planning on grqbbing a C150 or C172 to learn on next year, but this thing is in the low 30s and dropping. I suspect mid 20s buys it, but I learned from cars that cheap is usually expensive. I do have a place to store it.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    All this is beyond my knowledge. If properly maintained, without serious damage, and a good annual, how could an early Bonanza be dangerous? From what I know from the past, the pilots were dangerous and did not fly the airplane within parameters and did not put enough hours together in a sequence to be current. Am I showing some lack of knowledge? Maybe a lot of it. All I have ever heard was that it is a good airplane. I remember seeing and getting a demo flight in one in 1946 and it was a marvel then. i believe the price was 6500 dollars then.

5. envytheZ06

envytheZ06 Karting

Sep 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    V tail Bonanza's are great airplanes but I would not recommend getting one to learn how to fly in. For example with this plane it would cost you a bit of money before an instructor would even get in it with you. First you'd have to upgrade to dual controls then you might have to get brakes installed on the copilots side (it was common for people to not order dual brakes back in the day). Bonanza's got a bad rep for being Dr. Killers because people without enough experience or proper training would buy them then end up doing something stupid. They are known for having an aft CG problem so calculating the proper loading and fuel is very important to be able to maintain CG limits. For getting your ticket I think a 172 is about the best aircraft to learn in.

6. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    No CFI worth his ass will train in that plane, you need dual yokes/rudders. I love V-Tails though. They're very tough aircraft. If you can get it in the mid $20s, it may be worth it, but be ready to put at least that much into it (probably more).

How many hours on the engine/prop? Find out who does its maintenance and call them.

Mark

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Good points made here. There are a few reasons I would buy a plane to do my private, instrument, and build a little time. One is that you're going to have hard landings during your training. The other is shock cooling. After you become proficient, you can sell it and get a bonanza or similar. There are people who will buy a new Cirrus to learn to fly. It's not what I would do, but people do it.

8. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    No, we're just talking past each other. I see a few wires hanging down from the panel, mediocre radio, and portable gps. Those things are fine and I fly planes so equipped, but they are not ideal.

9. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You get what you pay for. This thing is a restoration project that will take years and cost loads of money. You want to learn to fly, not learn to restore and old airplane.

Rent to get your PPL. Buy for your IFR if you want to go further. You can't do a PPL in a retract anyways. You'll ruin it.

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    E225 may be difficult to find parts for, or $$. Prop may be very difficult to find parts for, or $$. Early Bo's had magnesium control surfaces. VERY prone to corrosion. I'd check the entire airplane VERY (VERY) carefully for corrosion. Cosmetic updates can hide a lot of issues. Make sure it has the tail mod (not sure it applied to all models but could/should be installed on all models).

3 place airplane at best due to typical Bo CG envelope. However if it all checks out it is a Bo.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks for all the input. I completely looked past the single yoke -- good catch. I think this is someone else's plane.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Your comments prove that I am out of the loop on this stuff and I missed the statement that the airplane was being considered as an initial flight trainer. C-150, C-172 would be a first choice.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There was a fatal accident at our airpark last year, in part due to the fact that the airplane did not have dual controls.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

My first airplane ride was in my uncle's B35. Painted solid red like that one, also.

It had a single yoke but dual rudder/brakes. I've never heard of one not having dual rudders and brakes.

They were flying cross country from Ohio to Cali, stopped in Albuquerque for a couple days to visit, then flew on.

I've seen several old Bonanzas converted to dual yokes.

Love Bonanzas.

15. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    My 83 yr. old father (retired Doc.) has TC Bonanza six passenger and loves it! It's his second Bonanza he's owned, but like many of the previous posts, he started out in a 172, moved to a Cardinal RG and then onto the Bonanza. He learned IFR in the RG and all but one of his planes have had dual controls, rudders and brakes over the years. Good luck with your purchase or search, but if this plane is going to cost 2x the purchase price to get it safe for your needs, I'd just purchase a Bonanza for $40-50K etc...

P.S.: Mr. Parks, my father really enjoyed your book that I gave him this past year!

16. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I know. :)

That was one of the many topics that came up last time I met with one of our aviation insurer clients. Generally consensus was "WTF was he thinking??"

Mark

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Get a Navion :)

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There is no "conversion." There is a pin you remove from that center post where the throw-over yoke attaches, and you pull it off. You buy (or, in some cases, rent) a dual yoke, and you slide it on and put the pin in.

At least, that's what I remember from many, many years ago.

I think it's a cool airplane, especially for the money, but not even worth considering as a basic trainer. I doubt if old Bonanzas are going to massively rise in price any time soon, so get your license in a 152 or 172 and then look around.

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    As a followup for the future if someone hits this thread, based on further research:

14 CFR 91.109 forbids primary flight instruction in a throwover single yoke aircraft. However, lack of brakes on the right side is (apparently) not an issue for instruction.

A dual yoke conversion costs about $3000 to purchase, and is apparently a simple task to change. There are folks who rent the yokes for primary training. (example: Bonanza Dual Yoke Rental)

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thank you for the P.S. It's nice to hear and thanks for giving your dad the book.

21. wizzard

wizzard Karting

Nov 9, 2014
    The FAA will issue a waiver to a properly experienced Bo instructor to instruct in a throw over yoke airplane. BPPP has many such waivered instructors.

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think the need for that waiver has largely gone away. 91.109(b) allows you to do a BFR or instrument instruction with a throw-over yoke, as long as the pilot in the left seat is current.

Since transition training isn't legally required, the only thing you can't legally do is primary training (or training for a complex/high performance endorsement).

23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

OK, I used the word 'conversion' loosely.

The pic in Tillman's post is what I saw. http://www.newkentaviation.com/dualyoke.html

Even has the Beech logo.