What kind of headset is everyone using? | FerrariChat

What kind of headset is everyone using?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ak Jim, Nov 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Hi, I'm looking for an ANR headset, what are you guys using? I'm on the 757/767 and would like to protect my hearing but still need to talk cross cockpit. Also I'll need the mic to attach to the right side of the headset.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I have been using a Bose headset for a few years and quite like it. One of the guys involved in the testing of ANR for the USAF is a good friend and his personal preference was for the Bose after trying out all of them.

Having said that.... Talking cross cockpit could suck with them on. What do other folks wear? My general impression is that airline guys wore those little Walkman style headsets rather than something full up like David Clarke or Bose. If you have the Bose half on to talk cross cockpit off coms they could suck as breaking the seal screws up the ANR.

3. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
  4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Bose A20. I also carry an old school D&C H10-13.4 as well.

Mark

5. Maciej

Maciej Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    NNJ
    Full Name:
    Maciej
    For ordinary flights I rock a Bose A20 with Bluetooth, for aerobatics I rock a Clarity Aloft.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Mark, that's going to be the challenge, find the one that blocks some noise but not too much that you can't hear the other guy. Sporty's has a 30 day return policy if you don't like what you just purchased. The Boeing jets are all so noisy! In the 75/76 the noise is from what I think is the avionics cooling fans and the airflow thru the environmental system. I'm currently using some of the yellow ear plugs pushed part way in but it's not good enough.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I use the LightSpeed, myself.

Don't you guys have an intercom or hot mic or something?

If it's not that noisy, why not use something like a Telex Airman 750? That's what I used to use in jets.

8. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Used Bose for years,
    Gary Bobileff

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ditto.

Depending on the plane, Bose/Lightspeed/DC will attenuate certain frequencies differently. Best if you can take them for a test flight before buying.

10. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I use one that Jim^ gave me :) But I'm thinking about a clarity aloft.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    No they don't. The airlines are extremely cheap. Generally if it is not required then they don't have it.