Sideslip | FerrariChat

Sideslip

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by muk_yan_jong, Nov 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    I remember seeing one of those HxChannel Plane crash shows where a jetliner pilot (who was also a glider enthusiast) was able to salvage a powerless descent with a masterful sideslip...

but THIS must've been a true pants-filling moment.

Air Force loses $115 million gunship to a 'sideslip' - CNNPolitics.com

My father is a pilot and talked of a LOT of fun maneuvers in his Piper Cub, but something this big and radically inverting???

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    There are two kinds of slips, a side slip and a forward slip. The side slip can be dangerous if speed gets too low and the airplane stalls. It is accomplished by lowering a wing and applying opposite rudder, keeping the nose level or slightly high. A forward slip is started the same way with one wing down and opposite rudder fed in but the nose is lowered, not held level or pointed up. I can remember the movements with the stick going towards the corner the lowered wing and gently feeding in top rudder. I used it many times landing at short or unfamiliar strips or where the approach had tall trees at the end. I always preferred the forward slip to shorten the approach instead of flaps.
    Once after landing at our old field a young flight instructor wanted to know what"that maneuver" was when I landed. I told him that it was a slip and he responded that he had never heard of it and it looked dangerous. I'm saying it more and more now..."Times change."

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #3 MarkPDX, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    There have been a few incidents where the C-130 has gotten all upside down.... A friend was on a plane where (for unknown reasons) the other pilot yanked the throttles back and tired to get the props into reverse while in flight. There was a brief departure from controlled flight before things recovered but the crew was kinda pissed. Another incident which comes to mind is below.... Pretty crazy situation.