18th Nov fatal of AS350 (eurocopter) | FerrariChat

18th Nov fatal of AS350 (eurocopter)

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by gday, Nov 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
  2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I don't see a dolly/cart in either of the videos.... But that is definitely a messed up situation. I guess they were incapacitated and couldn't shut it down so it just spun until it died?

3. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    The reports are all over the place re the victims - some say they saw one trying to get out others have calculated the forces on the guys was between 5 and 11Gs. What seems odd to me is that the fire truck got nearby and did nothing for the 8 minutes the thing spun. Why they could not have shot foam into the intake I have no idea and would like to know.

-mick

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  5. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Its unclear who was flying as the other victim was re-learning flying helicopters. The bit about the unsecured dolly was captured from the liveatc ground recording.

-mick

6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Probably very unsafe to get close enough to shoot foam.

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Send a tug or clapped out crew car at it with the ebrake dragging. Just enough mass to stop the spinning?

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    What a ****ed up way to go. Like being on a run away fare ride or rapidly rotating BBQ. Was that fire or a light flashing underneath in the beginning. What would anyone do in such a mess? I was thinking the same thing, sending something into the spinning mass, or hosing it down although it might suffocate the folks inside.

9. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I stopped in at my hanger at CRQ an hour ago do do some work, spoke with one of the line guys at Western , next door to Premier, and we discussed the tragic incident. He said that the helicopter was spinning for about 5 - 6 minuets, before it was finished. We discussed that the flying pilot and passenger were probably severly injured, because there didn't seem to be any attempt to shut down, or reduce power. He agreed, and saw that the windshield and side door glass were heavily blood stained, therefore it seems that both occupants were knocked out or dead, prior to the fire. Tragic.
    Gary Bobileff

10. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    From 10 News:

The pilot who was killed in a bizarre helicopter accident at Palomar Airport Wednesday complained to air traffic controllers that the cart he was trying to land on wasn’t secured.

"They didn’t chock my cart. It was like a skateboard out here,” said Bruce Erickson to air traffic controllers moments before his helicopter began spinning out of control."

Team 10: 'They didn't chock my cart' pilot said moments before helicopter spun out of control - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

-mick

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You can see in the video that the cart looked stationary but that he didn't line the heli onto it enough....he only had a tiny bit of the front of landing skids and when he powered down, the weight of the heli flipped it back to where the tail hit then up again, then hit again shearing the tail rotor and it was all over from there.

Wow.....that video is absolutely crazy.

12. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    why would you land on a cart?,and not on the ground?

13. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jesus that's ****ed up... condolences to all involved. damn.

Jedi

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  15. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm guessing but it's to move the helicopter quickly and easily to a hangar??

Jedi

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  17. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #17 gday, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    There seems to be No locking mechanism on the wheels
    One has really got look at numerous potential hazards in order to try to stay safe