Fun F4 video..... | FerrariChat

Fun F4 video.....

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ryan S., Dec 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmXvQqEcJZ8[/ame]

Still one of my fav looking planes......

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ryan- Very nice. I got a couple of sorties in RF-4Cs out of Zweibrucken. Fun to fly and much better view from the back than the F-4G. We would have gotten court martialed for flying that low in Germany. That base and most of our German and UK USAFE fighter bases are closed now. Only Spang and Lakenheath left.

Ryan S. likes this.
  3. Bludiablordstr

Bludiablordstr Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ah, the High Rollers from Reno last soirée before the got 130's. Heard some guys got in a lot of trouble for that, and that's a shame...

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    My dad flew those in Vietnam.

5. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Something called "lizard gate".....

Went to congress and pilots involved lost their careers apparently.......anyone know whole story?

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'm with you!

When I was a little kid, the Blue Angels were still in F4s, and they'd do their turn around & flyback to the Chicago airshow over my neighborhood (about 40 miles west of Chi-town) - simply awesome stuff back in the day!!

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That was when they called it "the loudest airshow on earth".

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    That was also when there was pretty much nothing but open fields behind my house - people would be out there riding dirt bikes or hunting pheasant. Talking say, 1972 to maybe 1975 timeframe. "Sound of Freedom" in my mind - and we obviously still had heroes losing their lives in those exact same aircraft at the time...

9. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wait.. what.. '72-75.. I just looked up operational history and could only find Vietnam.. is that where you alluded to?

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I got to talking with one of my coworkers today who spent a lot of his career in the F-4 and is familiar with this video.... This sort of ultra low level was quite common back in the fun days of the USAF. My coworker claims the fastest/lowest he has been was 600+ knots at 8' AGL. Can't really imagine you could don that sort of thing these days. We felt pretty bold flying a C-130 at 50' during Red Flag, of course the wing dip in a turn for the Herk is a bit larger.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My brother spent most of his career in the back seat of F-4s, mostly Weasels because he was an EWO, like me. The F-4Gs were the last of the lot for USAF. So much EW crap in the back seat they would not even let IPs land from back there at the end. I got 4 sorties on those and the view forward did suck.

Great disappointment to my father, who flew P-47Ds in WW-II. Both his sons ended up with bad eyes and sitting in the back or right seat.

Ryan S. likes this.
  12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #12 nathandarby67, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very cool! Absolutely my #1 favorte airplane of WW2. I can remember building a plastic model kit of one when I was about 8 or 9, and I've loved it ever since. Used to draw pictures of it sitting in elementary school class. Would love to hear some of your dad's impressions of flying it.

Also just picked up this little gem last week. Horizon micro P-47. It's the only RC model I've ever seen that is in the razorback version, which was always my favorite. Had to have it. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but it's a good looking little model.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Um, no. Forgive the holiday pun, but this kind of stuff would have gotten your nuts roasting on an open fire as far back as the mid 80s. Reno lost their Phantoms well after that, as far as I remember. Yes, the Air Force was more tolerant of honest mistakes in the past, but this was a crime and it didn't often tolerate those. I know many great guys that lost their wings for just flying over aunt Millie's house at 100 feet and the like. It may have been common in the 60s and 70s, but as America went into it's days of body dysmorphic disorder after Viet Nam, people tolerated very little from the military and it trickled down to major punishments for bringing undue negative attention on the Air Force.

14. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    I was 6 when I first saw them in 1972. It was the single thing I wanted most form life... and I actually couldn't help but crying at the noise.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We flew at 100' all the time on the Nellis ranges in the 70s and 80s, including mach 1.2 at 100'. That was allowed under the flying ROE. Lots of time at 200' at night on TFR on low level routes, too, and many bomb runs at 200' at night on Melrose Range. Rules on low level varied depending on where you were flying, but low levels were generally in areas of zero or very low population. There was virtually nothing in a large portion of the Nellis ranges and dwellings were few and far between on the low level route areas in NM, CO, and AZ. Plus many parts of Northern California and Eastern Nevada were used by us for low levels in the mid-80s.

By the time I left Europe in 1991, low level flying had been severely restricted in airspeed and altitude. In the early 80s, flight at 100' and 540-570 KTAS in the UK was quite common. You could circumnavigate the UK low level then, impossible now.

16. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    That's what I was thinking. I was a little kid at the time, but 'Nam was certainly what was "going on" back then & remember seeing some of it in the glory of our family's black & white TV (though, we got a color set sometime about '75 or '76.) :)

17. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I completed a Med deployment in '72 on the USS Julius A. Furer DEG-6 and remember well plane guard duty for carrier launch operations. We'd be balls to the wall approx. 2000 yards either dead in front or 45 degrees off the bow of the carrier (served the JFK, Forrestal and Intrepid during the cruise). On launch, the Phantoms (or A-7's or A-4's) would scream directly over.

Ryan S. likes this.
  18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  19. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #19 alexm, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A tough time for sure.. Aussie vets were badly treated on return, ignored.. many mental health issues.. it wasn't their "fault".. it was the political climate that placed them there and then didn't look after them on return.

Talking about heroes I saw some pics recently of a still sprightly P-51 pilot given passenger ride, his first time back in the plane since WW2.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Too many times I have heard people refer to the P-51B or C as " Razor Back Mustangs". There was no such thing. They were called " Fast Back Mustangs". The only airplane that was called the "Razor Back" was the P-47B. THAT was a RAZOR BACK.

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    This is the F4 vid from Post #1 - old, poor quality, but still good :)

Ryan S., David_S and willrace like this.
  22. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    You can buy one if you want...caution, bad language. ;)

Sinnerman and David_S like this.
  23. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

24. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I lurk a lot in this forum, but thought I would post this bit of news.
    My best friend's father, RADM Don Primeau, naval aviator, passed two weeks ago at the age of 90. He got his wings in '55 and flew the FJ-3 Fury, F9F-8 Cougar, F11F-1 Tiger, F-4B Phantom and the F-4J; he had several tours in Viet Nam. He flew off the USS Essex, USS Bon Homme Richard, USS Franklin Roosevelt, USS John F. Kennedy and USS Forrestal. I distinctly remember the first time I was in Admiral Primeau's house when I was about 14 years old and was introduced to the "I love me" wall; gobs of awesome squadron/carrier pictures; I have included one of them below. No such thing existed in my house, my dad was a supply/logistics/finance officer (who also witnessed 22 H-bomb bursts in Operation Hardtack!). In any case, Fair Winds and Following Seas, Admiral Primeau.

Jacob Potts, Sinnerman and Jaguar36 like this.
  25. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Respect.

R.I.P, Admiral.

Sinnerman likes this.