1950s and early 1960s Air Force Movies.... | FerrariChat

1950s and early 1960s Air Force Movies....

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ryan S., Dec 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    By far my favorite era for aviation. So many good related movies as well....

Just started watching this one...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhrv1EFbQIw[/ame]

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Haven't heard of that one. Most of those movies were pretty tacky - tell us what you think about that one.

My favorites from that vintage both cover SAC at different times: "Strategic Air Command" and "A Gathering of Eagles". Great footage of B-36s, B-47s and B-52s.

Another pair that tell the same story in completely opposite manner are "Fail-Safe" and "Dr. Strangelove", which were both filmed in black & white. Of course, the latter truly defined the term "black comedy" and is a hoot to watch. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Dr. Strangelove.

Peter Sellers at his best:

"Precious Bodily Fluids..."

4. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    They do have a humorous tacky side but they are the only movies that for the most part show the real planes at real period AF bases....Seeing the real planes in the background is my favorite part......

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bridges at Toko-Ri was my favorite, even if it was Navy.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That was a great movie. With the state of the art of special effects I always wondered how they did the crash of his Panther. It looked pretty good. I knew some guys that were involved in special effects for 1942 and heard how they did John Belushis P40 crash. Always wondered if it was similar.

War movies in general of the period have always had my interest. I used to go to a bar that had the 12 foot long working submarine used in Run Slient, Run Deep and Torpedo Run. On close inspection it was very realistic.

Toko Ri, In Harms Way are the 2 top in my opinion.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    George C Scott was never better either. Gen. Buck Turgeson.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Ditto. Have that in VCR. Don't currently have a way to play it.

I'm old enough that I remember seeing it in the Kimo theater in Albuquerque when I was a little kid. Twice.

9. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Rookie

Mar 11, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Dewayne
    "Bombers B-52" is good too if you can catch it. Of course it has plenty of B-52's but also some C-97's & KC-97's which is one of my favorite planes.