Why is the A10 Warthog gun so small? | FerrariChat

Why is the A10 Warthog gun so small?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Dec 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I guess compared to the 16inch guns on an Iowa class battleship, whi h fire VW sized projectiles, it is small.

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    lol when I saw this it was like wooooohhh. I cannot imagine what it's like to pull the trigger. Any WH drivers on here care to comment?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The gun is not all that big.

The magazine....now that's big.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    A gun with wings. Works for me...

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remember reading that the airplane was actually designed around the 6000 pound weapon system. I talked to an A-10 pilot at an airshow in the 80's and he said that if the weapon was fired at full rate, the muzzle gases snuffed out the engines. Hence the strakes on the sides of the forward fuselage. I simply cannot understand the reluctance to put 1000 of these on line. Well, maybe 300. In my mind they are an incredible weapon. I would also give anything to meet Capt. Kim Campbell, who in my eyes is one good looking dame and an unbelievable A-10 pilot. In WW2 she would have been called a HOT ROCK.
    I hate getting old!

8. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    when the guns fired the plane slows down

9. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    ..to every action,an opposite reaction..🤓...cheers,RE

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

When the gun fires, it feels like the plane STOPS in mid-air.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Recoil from the gun is about the same as one engine 9000 lbs of thrust. I don't really remember the gun actually slowing the plane down but you're pretty focused on hitting the target. Also most of the time it's only shot in 1-2 second bursts.

12. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    CAS is not 'cool' enough for the USAF.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My late brother-in-law flew B-25's and B-26's in the south Pacific area and he said that the 75mm cannon DID severely jolt the airplane when fired as did the gun nose version that had 12 forward firing cal.50's . One thing for sure was that the destruction was total for a few seconds. The airframes suffered from the recoil of the cannon and the .50's and extended use was not the norm. He also said that he preferred the Martin B-26 to fly in action because it was so tough but he preferred the B-25 for tooling around...like normal things, para-frag missions and strafing. This guy also flew T-6's in the Korean thing as an artillery spotter and he said that the airplane could also take a lot of punishment from small arms fire. He sadly died from alcoholism without any recognition from the military for what he did.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Perhaps the epitome of the gun-nose bomber were the later A-26B Invaders. They had 8 .50s in the nose and 6 more in the outer wings, fighter-plane style. In addition, the upper turret could be locked in forward-firing position by the pilot and fired by him. That's 16 .50s all firing in unison! (And I'll bet that some enterprising soul strapped additional guns to the side of the forward fuselage, similar to the style seen on B-25s and B-26s. If so, the number of guns might have been as high as 20.)