Talk | FerrariChat

Talk

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Dec 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I am always interested and amazed at the butchering of the English language by those in the south east, and the south in the USA. Maybe I have mentioned it before, oops! Maybe I done it before. I listened to a girl tellin me about plyen the Hawup and writin' on her stysionry. An' a guy was tellin' me how he done sumpin' the the other day but could'a did it better ifin' he was learnt some more. Then, I was watching an English documentary about the Lockheed F-104 and again heard that it could fly at MACK one point five. Can some of you guys tell me why it's pawss and cawnt and then MACK or PAAPERAATZIE when there is a soft A in those words? Ernst Mach's name is ALWAYS pronounced as " MOCK" . IT's German. Why is it MACK in England? And then there is MAHL for MILE and MILE for MAIL. SILE for SAIL is another one. Okay, I'll quit before I get blahsted by someone.

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I love peecan pie! :)

3. wizzard

wizzard Karting

Nov 9, 2014
    Heard on the radio-about 20 years ago;

Airline pilot form Birmingham Ala picking up a clearance from Boston CD-"Hear how slow I'm a talking-that s how slow I want cha to read that clearance to me"

As a Southerner, It can be very hard when the Boston controllers clear you direct to "Gadnah" (Gardner).
    When they start the fast talking you just have to slow them down.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Being from South Carolina, where I was 14 before I knew damn and Yankee were two separate words, we will never be able to explain our language to you.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bob, it is nation wide. I was born in Oakland, home of Ebonics. Has nothing to do with the south. Its about education and having a little pride in yourself.

I have met Southerners that speak perfect English and Northerners who are incomprehensible. I am lucky, I had a few English teachers who were good and cared. I will forever pronounce vacuum with 2 distinctly separate "U"'s.

Hell in California they cant even spell words correctly on the highway signs.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Me too and it was to my mostly life long dismay that you positively cannot get decent pecan pie in California despite the abundance of pecans. I had to move to Texas primarily for that reason.

Well, maybe partly for the BBQ.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Ah know thayud cowse ah bin in all pahts of this country. We had a radio announcer hire on here in Seattle years ago. He was from the new England area and said that the temperature was going to be FAHTY that night. He didn't last long. I know fully well that we have regional inflections but getting back to MACH being pronounced MACK simply rankles me. I grew up in a household where my architect father and doctor brother lived with ACCURACY and CORRECTNESS and they drilled it into us little kids. In my case, some of it stayed with me. When my dad drew a line on his drawings there was an imperceptible dot or period at the end of it " That's to show that the line ends right there , not wandering off someplace." My brother, " Wrong isn't a little bit wrong, it's WRONG!" "You're not a little bit late, your LATE!!" " You're not a little bit pregnant, your pregnant!" I'll have to admit that all of this didn't stick with me but enough of it did to make a difference... NOT A LITTLE BIT OF DIFFERENCE BUT.......

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Being from (northern) Illinois, I'd have to say that many folks in southern parts of Illinois have more of a "southern drawl" (i.e.: mushmouth) than most anybody I find anywhere in NC or SC.

9. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I can't understand any of you bloody Yanks..:) :)

You know how frustrating it is to get a drink at a restaurant when you are asking for "water" and not "wada" !!!

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    . That's another good one. One can hear many versions of that in some pahts of the country. Wahda, wohda, wowudah, warder, etc.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Bob, I was sitting in a very nice restaurant in a nice part of New Jersey, in the bar waiting for my table. A very good looking, nicely (expensively) dressed woman in her early 30's sat next to me. A minute or two later a woman at the other end of the bar who was evidently a friend yelled across to get her attention.
    The reply, yelled back was Ehhh, cahn'tja see wa tokin ova eer.

I though I was sitting next to Fran Dresher.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- You should hear the Brits pronounce Gila Bend. Just like it is spelled. But if it is a French place, the pronunciation has to be perfect or you are a cretin.

Who knows? Some are just illiterate and others affect an accent for effect (or is that effect an accent for affect?). Sometimes difficult to tell which is happening.

One of the accents that drives me crazy is the female Valley Girl accent. Like running your fingernails down a blackboard to me.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You don't like Valley Girl! " Well, WHAT ever-uh!"

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #15 Bob Parks, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Oh, Fran, she's a typical NOO YAHKA, not from JOISEY. Yeah, a NOO YAHK GOIL.
    Speaking of Brits. One hot summer day at Langley Field a British B-24 patrol-bomber called in to request a clearance to land. The tower operator did his best to decipher the incoming communications and finally said ' Everybody , clear the pattern and hold positions west of the field." Then told the Brits that they could land on (can't recall the heading). Their airplane was a pristine B-24 , white lower surface, teal green upper and absolutely spotless. The crew was mostly black and from the Bahamas, if I remember. I was guessing that it was runway 27 but I missed it. It was runway 26, the longest on the field.

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Bahamas...

'British English' with a Bahamian accent. It really is a foreign language.

Remember looking for maybe 'David Saba' on Eluthera... was 'Davis Harbour'.

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That is classic !!