Alaska Airlines lands on taxiway | FerrariChat

Alaska Airlines lands on taxiway

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Dec 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    A pilot friend of mine just came from SEA where I guess an Alaska Airlines plane landed on a taxiway instead on the center runway. I'm not sure if the ILS for that runway was available for backup as I'm assuming it was visual approach.

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    #2 beast, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like an unfortunately easy to make mistake. Except for all the differences in lighting, which may not have been obvious in the daytime.

4. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I ended up once landing on a taxiway as a passenger in a Baron being flown by a friend. Not instrument rated, at night, got stuck in the clouds. We ended up out of the clouds over Sacramento Exec. He was so screwed up, that when cleared to land, put it down on the taxi way. He didn't get into any trouble over that, but should have. Never flew with him again.

Art

5. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I guess 16C is closer to the ramp, so that's why it was preferable. It's typical practice to backup a visual with the ILS, so this doesn't happen. I wonder if they didn't do this or if the ILS to 16C was out. On the 747, which is probably almost the same FMS, it's not all that quick to switch runways. If it's a 2 runway airport, we usually program 2 routes...one to each runway. That way it's easy to swap. But if you didn't do that ahead of time or if there are more than 2 runway options, it can take a little time. Also, if you don't have the runway in the FMS, the missed approach will be for the wrong runway. So if the runways not in the FMS, we won't land on it.

Sorry, maybe too much info.....