F-18 Follows a Tomahawk to impact on ship | FerrariChat

F-18 Follows a Tomahawk to impact on ship

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Feb 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Hot knife through butter.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    It was just some empty containers. A .50 BMG round would do the same.

Not some empty containers, an empty container.

4. keelaboosa

keelaboosa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2006
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Imagine if it had hit between two containers! I bet it wouldn't have been such a nonevent.

5. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    During the Harpoon test program they did a similar test and filmed it from the ship like this was. To maximize the damage to a ship the Harpoon missile performs a "pop up" maneuver so that it can finish the attack by diving down on the target.

As with this test there was an explosion of the residual fuel in the missile that blew off a hatchway right in front of the camera which was pretty cool.

The test was a success the missile performed as designed and the film crew went onto the target ship to retrieve the film. As they were finishing collecting the film and the cameras the realized that the ship was taking on water. After the ship sank they figured out that the engine shaft had actually went through the bottom of the hull and that was what sank the ship.

Given that experience it's easy to see why they would test the missile with it programmed to just hit high and not hit down by the waterline.

6. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Pidgeon: "What the **** was that?!"

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FOUO, Distribution D. Russians should not have been able to get ahold of those pieces of film, but we know how that goes.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So then the Russians distribute OUR film... :)

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Probably ordered them from Amazon.

10. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
  11. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Is it me or was that a total waste of tax payer dollars?

12. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    ..a waste?..only if there's no squabb..
    Cheers,RE 😜

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If it had it the ship behind the cameras, then yes. Otherwise a minor expense, relatively speaking, and something that should be done for almost any testing.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's you. :)

Have to test them, see how they perform in different situations.

15. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    They periodically test missiles like this for a number of reasons. One is that the engine and associated hardware can degrade just due to sitting. These engines are small turbines, not rockets, and they aren't "hermitically" sealed. Tomahawks are carried by aircraft and in going up to altitude and descending you can have condensation accumulate in the engines. While most of the parts are all nickel and titanium, things like bearings, can get corroded if condensation gets into the compartments. A certain very small percentage of missiles are fired to provide a statistical background and this determines the life of the fleet and the frequency that the missiles have to be taken apart for refurbishment.

Designers of cruise missile engines go to great lengths to insure that the engine will perform as designed even after sitting for 15 or 20 years without even an inspection or intermediate maintenance. The term used in the industry is that these are "wooden rounds" and the idea is that they can sit for protracted periods without any maintenance or inspection at all. If you had to tear down these engines on a regular basis, that would be very expensive. Instead they determine a schedule for refurbishment based on failures in testing of a small sample of test firings.

After sitting that long the starting cartridges are fired to crank the engine over and inject big flames into the combustor (think burning magnesium and Teflon) and the engine goes from sitting (and sometimes it is sitting at -60 F at altitude) to full power in about 3 seconds. Typical turbines take 20 to 30 seconds to start and the best thing that I can say is that a cartridge start of a missile engine is a violent occurrence, but it's really cool to see a streak of flames 15 feet long coming out the back of a turbine.

There are very good reasons that they do this and if you think about it a bit it all makes sense.

16. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for explanation - was totally unaware such issues - makes good sense as pointed out..

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They have large stores of old powder bags for the big Naval guns. As simple as that is they even have to drag that out and test it from time to time. Its the cost of preparedness. Cant expect to be able to build all this stuff when we need it.

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thank you for that info.
    I knew they were subsonic, and tubofans, not rockets.
    That's amazing.
    Testing is a must and you might as well have a target, to judge guidance.

19. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Exactly. And with a flight test you are testing the entire system, not just the engine and that is important too. There are literally thousands of things that could be effected by the long period of storage in a cruise missile, and the storage conditions are horrible. These things are carried on the wing of an aircraft through storms and rain and through salt air for years and years and then are expected to come to life and perform flawlessly for their entire mission. Since they get carried to altitude they cannot be sealed although the inlets and exhausts are covered, these covers aren't air tight, and moisture always finds its way in. The fact that these things work as well as they do is really pretty amazing and is a testament to the time and effort it takes to design an build them.

Sometimes they take missiles down and test or inspect individual components but that only goes so far. The sampling by doing live fire tests even with an inter warhead, is small, but they do enough to make sure that they have a statistical data base and that are assured that it will all work when they need to fire for real.

The success rate (meaning hitting the target, not just starting and flying off) for the Tomahawk is recently up to about 90%, which is pretty amazing when you realize that this system does its thing without any human involvement after the button to send it on its mission is pushed, and the technology involved is all from the early 1980's.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Much better than the Russians are doing. On one recent launch from an SU-22, only one of six cruise missiles worked. They launch over the Med or over Iran, depending on the missile and launch aircraft, and have had abysmal launch and BDA results.

Incidentally, that ship is designed for reuse as a target and the fuze for the Tomahawk can be set to do minimum damage to the target ship (delayed fuze timing) and still test the functioning of the entire system.

21. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    OR? the Tomahawk could be a TLAM-N. Though, that's not likely, because, as far as I know, nothing in our fleet is currently certified to put that nuclear option in the field. :)

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- The AGM-84s, latest of which is the AGM-84G/H TLAM-ER do have a very similar profile from the same basic design. Tomahawk Land Attack Missile Extended Range for those who do not remember hearing that acronym before. Optimized for fixed vs marine targets.

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Once again, *awesome* stuff guys! Thanks from me too for the posts!

Cheers,
    Ian

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- As far as I know, the Navy gave up the aircraft delivered nuclear role while I was still active duty in the early 90s.

25. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I hope that wasn't the container my new 488 was in...I declined the shipping insurance.