HO 229 | FerrariChat

HO 229

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Feb 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    #1 NYC Fred, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I haven't read the Horton book but I know a little bit about flying wings....or Tail-less aircraft . There were many successful tailless aircraft before the Horton. The Burgess airplane in WW1 was a flyable example and there were others. I fail to see what Horton did that was so much different or better than others. A tail-less aircraft must make up for the loss of the tail by twisting the wing to produce a pitching-up moment at the tip to counteract the nose down pitching moment of the wing airfoil section. It has been done many times. The negative problem as a result is a constant oscillation from stabile to unstable to stabile. Thus, without a computer controlled stability system, a bad condition for a bombing platform or gunfire. Did Horton get this figured out without a computer system on board? I offer my rather uneducated look at the Horton phenomenon .

4. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #4 Nurburgringer, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- The big deal on the Ho 229 was that it was the first jet powered flying wing and was a bit advanced compared to our first jet bomber, the B-45. The XB-49 was considerably later.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    i read you, Taz. More power and speed does make a difference but the principles of stability seem to be the same , to me. I'm going to talk to my aeroguru tomorrow to see where I might be drifting. It's happened before...many times.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think that is at the Air and Space Museum in VA Terry. It was there a year and a half ago or so when I was there. Kind of sitting in a heap of parts as it is now. Looks the same now as then. Wish they'd get it finished and on display. Just preserving and assembling it as is would be fine as an historical artifact.

8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Let's not forget about the charcoal dust mixed in with the wood glue (some say the paint as well) as a way of reducing the aircraft's radar signature.

FWIW, last I knew that Ho 229 (the V3 prototype airframe) was in the Air + Space Museum's restoration facility out in Suitland MD

9. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Thanks, Terry, but TMI...LOL.

From the comments I gather that the only way this sort of aircraft functions well is via computer. Must have taken some skills and stones to fly this thing (or the Northrop version) manually.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, consider that the Jet powered version flew from California to Washington DC and back.
    Took over 4 hours each way.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Years ago when the YB-49 was being touted I spoke with several of my big dome Boeing aero type friends and they said that the tailless was in constant pitch oscillation and even though they were minute , it was not a stable platform. Disaster could be a click away if the oscillations were not damped and controlled. The blended wing body vehicle being tested now at NASA is computer controlled and so would the full size aircraft.At high cruise speed an excursion out of the control envelope of the computer would last only a micro second.

12. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    It's 5 years old but here's a 2.1m RC 229 with twin 70mm electric ducted fans (same size as my 1.6m ME262, SR-71 and F-16, but hotter motors).

Gentle flying at 2:45 and landing at 7:40

https://youtu.be/5hxXIayV-RU?t=43s

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I guess that's what happened to Glen Edwards and crew.

Obviously it's the computers that keep the B-2 stable. The Grumman X-29 would have also been uncontrollable if its computers were not monitoring the situation 40 times a second!

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So it's not the lack of a vertical stabilizer that helps with this...

It's a horizontal stabilizer at some certain distance from the CG, maybe?

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I remember seeing an interview with General Cardena? who was one of the test pilots of the B49 and recall he said it flew very well. I thought he said it was a yaw stability issue that while not a big issue prevented it from being a good bombing platform.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- The XB-49 had a lot of problems. A low level flight over Washington DC really scared the test crew because of the danger. At one point a flag officer was going to insist on buying them, but the test team went able sugar on him and got it killed. It did not fly well.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    he was correct. Yaw is a problem but not as serious as pitch. Yaw can be controlled with tip devices like the spoilerons on the current flying wings. In the 60's here in the Seattle area there was a Polish engineer named Kasper who designed and built a tailless design that was successfully flown many times by a friend of mine. The yaw was controlled by tip "rudders" that worked only to the outboard direction and they controlled the yaw very well. And the airplane flew very well in the pitch axis. Vitol Kasper had the wing twist calculated absolutely dead on but who knows what minute oscillations were taking place.

18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    So, is there a tiny supercomputer in this model that keeps it from going into some oscillatory death dance? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer)

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm not smart enough to expound on this phenomenon but if some of you tech savvy guys look it up .it will explain what happens when things get out of whack in the pitch mode. The NASA model with which they are testing the Blended Wing/Body configuration is quite large, 10-12 foot wing span and I would imagine that it can support a good array of small computers. High frequency-escalating amplitude happens very quick at higher speeds, I was told.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Aircraft like the F-16 are unstable or neutrally stable in all three axes. Unflyable without the flight control computers keeping everything pointed in the right direction. That is why their flight control computers are quadruple redundant. Same goes for the B-2. Early 4th generation fighters like the F-4, F-111, F-15, and F/A-18 would fly without their flight control computers (dampers off), but were pretty squirrely doing so. Still good enough to get them on the ground.

Similar things could be done with gyros and analog controls, but the bandwidth and response times were pretty primitive.

22. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
  23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks for those inputs, Taz. Very interesting.

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

(As always!)

Quad redundant is a new on me - Triple, yeah - the theory being we'll go with the two that agree and ignore the third if things get "sketchy" in there.

But with four, what happens if two say one thing & two another!? :eek: ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Somebody just needs to homebuild a flying wing with the Tower Hobbies gyro in it (x4)! It's hard not to laugh at how things evolve.