737 crash in Russia | FerrariChat

737 crash in Russia

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MarkPDX, Mar 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It wasn't flying, it was falling.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Agreed. It wasn't flying.
    It was falling, fast.

5. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Can a 737 land in 100 kph crosswinds? Apparently those were the conditions. Accounts I've read say that the plane didn't make a second landing attempt until 2 hours after the initial attempt. That's a very long time. Should it not have been diverted?

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Photos (that I've seen) show only small pieces of wreckage.
    I guess you'd expect that from the high angle of flight.

'Landed' on pavement short of the runway?

I aways wonder about language. Arabic crew ?? landing in Russia. Does everyone speak English.

7. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    #7 Mckinney, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Pilots were apparently Cypriot and Spanish, with 11K hours flying time. I'm really puzzled by the aborted first landing attempt, followed by 2 hrs circling (an extremely long time), then no attempt to divert (apparently), even though there are multiple airports within 30 minutes flying time. I'm sure there is intense interest in the black boxes, particularly the voice recorder. Hopefully they survived with data intact.

Also, the 2 hrs circling means that families awaiting loved ones were undoubtedly gathered awaiting the flight and may have seen or heard the crash - also very unusual. A cruel twist. My heart goes out to them.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They've found both. The question is will the Russian investigators get in the way of the investigation.

Seriously... you cannot trust the Russians when it comes to plane crash investigations.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It didn't occur to me that the airplane had perhaps stalled. It was flown by airline pilots, correct?

10. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    In my experience, the major Gulf carriers (Emirates, Qatar Air, Oman Air) have very competent pilots, usually European, British, or Australian. I don't know about the budget airlines. That said, i have never experienced a bad weather landing on one of the gulf carrriers.

11. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Final thought - i wonder if the video is deceptive on the angle of descent. I can't see the body of the aircraft, only a light. Where are the lights on a 737?

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    When I saw the video, I thought the same thing....The decent is extremely steep to the point of stall...

It got me speculating that perhaps fuel exhaustion was a factor.

13. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Maybe those are lights on the wing and the plane rolled violently to the right on approach? Just pure speculation on my part - no technical knowledge of aviation at all.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Port wing tip, red like port wine. Right wing tip, green. Tail light, white. Can't tell what color is in the video but whatever it was ,it was coming down steeply and quickly. When I was flying in the 40's and 50's the navigation lights often were lost in the clutter of the lights below.Big help when they initiated the flashing lights .

15. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hey guys. I am based in Dubai. The captain was a friend of mine. I am devastated. Been trying to deal with this all day today. We don't have any answers but I know for a fact that the flight crew was very competent. Most theories I heard from other pilots are about a stall due to very high winds while trying to climb following a second failed landing attempt. I will update once we know more. There are rumors that the airline didn't allow the pilots to divert to another airport because Rostov wasn't officially closed and just asked them to hold despite the very bad weather and high winds. The airline didn't want to cover the cost of landing in an airport that they didn't have a contract with and all the associated costs. Like I said before, nothing is confirmed, these are just some theories floating around here in Dubai. RIP to all the passengers and crew. Especially to my buddy Aristos. I am off to bed as I am not in very good shape right now. Will post updates once we hear something concrete.

16. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Mario,

Sorry about your loss.

What a small world it can be on this forum.

17. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hope they figure out what happened with the data. It does seem like circling for 2 hours is quite a lot. That also does not look like anywhere near a landing attempt.

18. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Sorry man.... I wondered why they didn't divert....But two hours circling concerns me.

19. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Other links here, with photos of the crash scene (runway) in daylight:

Crash: Flydubai B738 at Rostov on Don on Mar 19th 2016, missed runway after holding for 2 hours

B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don - PPRuNe Forums

Many comments mention very high winds, possibility of strong wind shear. Also conditions might indicate potential icing on flying surfaces, after 2 hours of pattern low/slow in rain and snow. Plane was aborting a 2nd landing attempt and starting a go-around; may have lost stalled if iced and/or wind shear?

20. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Be good to get more facts.. surely no crew would want to circle for 2 hours waiting for retry 2nd landing.. if it's that bad and that long a time a divert would surely be your preference?

21. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Sorry about your friend. Fact is we all have lost someone, and if your're in aviation long enough it will happen unfortunatly.

22. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Here is a diagram of lights on a 737.

Jacob

[​IMG]

23. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    Very sorry for the loss of your friend. Two hours is a ridiculous amount of time to hold especially in bad weather. If he was in a hold for two hours, that means he had plenty of fuel to go somewhere else no matter what the airline told him. That never-the-less is neither here nor there. My thought after looking at the angle of descent makes me wonder if this could be another infamous 737 rudder hardover.

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It seems impossible to me that an airline can over rule the decision of a pilot on where to land safely.

Sorry it just doesn't make sense to me.

25. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian