Airport security after Brussels | FerrariChat

Airport security after Brussels

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Mckinney, Mar 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    I've often wondered why terrorists didn't just detonate a bomb where passengers queue for check-in or security checks. Well, now they have and there is no cost effective or politically correct way to eliminate the risk. Move the security perimeter back and you only change the place where the queues form. Move it forward all the way to the departure gate and you make it more effective, but much more costly.

I hope this triggers a reassessment and a move away from security theater and toward the Israeli model.

2. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
  3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

What's the Israeli model?

Forgive my lack of knowledge.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Profiling by educated and trained security personal everywhere throughout the concourse and including (at times) the access roads leading into the airport.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

And at least the last time I went LHR -> Tel Aviv on El-AL, their own baggage checkers - Man, those guys were thorough!..... We'd already gone thru "security" and then those guys pretty much hand searched everything. [You couldn't check a bag landside with them - Had to go thru their checks.]

Dunno if it's still the same - This is ~25 years back.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Israeli model? Give me a break, that would mean hiring quality people with a brain, something the US government has proven over and over it cannot do. I do know this, Americans will want more security, they will be willing to pay a lot more and give up freedoms to do so and in the end Uncle Sam will take the money, infringe the freedom, make the promises and deliver nada. Same as they have been doing since 911.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    SNAFU

8. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

The whole mess seems to me to be a self-serving cluster****. :(

I'm not claiming to know how to fix it, but it's sure broken right now.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well we do have models to follow. Israel is a good one but taking that as an example we will never dream of doing it because it is based on profiling and political correctness has a death grip on this country and profiling is one of the most extreme taboos known to the politically correct.

One of the reasons I like this place Ian. We aren't afraid of having a manger scene in the town square. F'em.

10. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Went through Ben Gurion Airport a couple of years ago..its pretty much the same, profiling searches, strict presence..it works,...in the US there is to much political correctness vs actual need for this model to work....

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    One of my sons is in TSA and it is sickening to hear what he says about the people for whom he works and some of the people with whom he works. Sad.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is no secret to anyone who has gone through AP security.

Bob, I have a plate in my right ankle. It shows up in every screening. Without fail they feel up my left ankle, not sometimes, every single time.

I was in an L.A. airport. An alarm went off and droned for a while. All the automatic doors closed. TSA clearly had no idea what was up but they huddled us all in a dead end corridor all the while telling us there was a security breach and not to be worried. Their radios were silent and I could overhear enough to know they had no idea. After 45 minutes L.A. Fire crashed through the automatic fire doors to ask TSA WTF they had a bunch of people huddled in a part of the terminal that was supposed to be on fire and we were supposed to be evacuated. The TSA dimwits got read the riot act by a Fire Captain for being complete morons.

Security is a bad joke. The only purpose it serves is it looks good and makes dumb people feel safe.

We will get more of the same at a very high price.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Good news is they react very slowly, so it will be a while before anything gets done. It took them two years to figure out that binary explosives were a threat. That was two years after someone had used a binary explosive on an airliner, killing a Japanese tourist.

If you have not heard of binary explosives, it involves using two effectively inert liquids. When combined, they make an explosive. Terrorist took the two bottles in the restroom, combined them, and attached them under the seat in front of him with a simple fuze. Next flight, boom.

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995) ;)

15. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Guys I know it's a sensitive topic today, but please no P&R here. I'm going to edit a couple of posts so if you see some editing you know why.

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Once going through security at SFO I had a bag full of camera gear and a carry on with a 600mm Tele lens in it. The Xray operator looked all puzzled at the dense round item on his screen. He talked to a supervisor and the supervisor asked me what it was? I told him that it was a huge camera lens and was welcome to open the bag and inspect it. The super just said "Oh OK have a nice flight"

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I for one, didn't have any P&R intent in passing on what was currently going on at the airport.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Terrorists are really dumb. If they wanted to blow up a lot of people there's a lot easier way than doing it in a queue at an airport.

My feeling is they are not really interested in blowing up a lot of people. What they want is to stop people from doing things from fear -- such as traveling.

19. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Wonder what Germany does? a large (happy) Muslim population since a long time, and no terrorist acts?
    They learned something in the 70's they use successfully today.

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lot of difference between Turks who have been there forever, as Gastarbeiters originally, and are fully integrated into German society, and new refugees from the Middle East and North Africa. Remains to be seen how that works out. New Years eve was not a promising start. If Angela has not been an Ostie, that probably would not have happened.

21. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Simple, how would they have stopped it ...say around 1942 up until around 67? Maybe a little later.

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    +1. We can educate smarter people. First step is to stop all participation awards and safe conversation zones at colleges. Second step raise our young boys to be men.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Whole generation too late.

24. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1 on the Israel Model. We can learn so much from that tiny country. Mind you they deal with terrorists on a daily basis. There simply are facts that denotes terrorists. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims. Speaking of which- glad to hear Israel is gonna hack the iphone and destroy the rest of the terrorists