Idiot in St Barts... | FerrariChat

Idiot in St Barts...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Apr 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Be more worried about clipping the edge of the road. The tourist makes a good means to gage your clearance. Wack the tourist and you still have a few feet of clearance to terra firma.

3. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You can see where the road goes right in front there in this satellite view.

https://goo.gl/maps/NcKf4Bfdu8U2

You'd think even with topographical constraints for better road placement there'd at least be a warning system for drivers for such low overheads at least.. wonder how many get a big fright..

4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C

The top of the mountain was scraped and the road repositioned a few years ago. Used to be even more fun.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have landed at many places like this in the NW and the good old slip made it a no big thing. I know that slips aren't good in some airplanes now but the airplane in the video can be slipped to good advantage. But then, they don't teach slips now. A shame because it's a damn good tool when you need it.

6. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Most Cessna's are placarded "Avoid slips when flaps are extended". The earlier ones had 40 degrees of flaps and these fouler flaps when deployed would require a "dive bomber" approach anyway so it's hard to think that you'd need to slip one that often... Some later ones only have 30 degrees of flaps and are not placarded against slips.

That doesn't mean they won't or can't but it is not recommended. There are a number of explanations as to why this is not recommended. One is that if you slip it with 40 degrees of flaps it can blank the elevator and create an oscillation in the controls or in severe cases cause the nose to drop if the elevator stalls.. I've never encountered this so I don't know if it is so. Another theory is that the flaps can blank the rudder and cause oscillation of the rudder pedals. My mechanic told me the reason was that it was hard on the flaps and the the aero disturbance would cause rivets to pop on the flaps and you'd have to do some repairing... For whatever reason the placard is there on Cessna's that have 40 degrees of flaps available..

When I was on my private pilot checkride the examiner pulled power (in a place where knew well). I looked for a field and found one (it was the one he wanted me to find) and when we got close it became clear that there were wires that you had to get over and then drop the airplane into the field and if you didn't do something pretty aggressive you'd overshoot the field.. I'm sure he busted a lot of newbies with that trick

I cleared the wires and put in a heavy slip and hand the field "made"... The examiner said "Ok, you've got it made, let's get out of here".. so I applied power and as we flew away he pointed to that placard and said 'what about this???" I came back with " it says avoid, it isn't prohibited", and sometimes you have to do what you have to do.. He agreed and said that was fine, but he commented it was "hard on the airplane" so don't make a practice of it.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#7 Tcar, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Fowler Flaps?????

I didn't know that any Cessna had Fowler flaps.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was thinking of a no-flaps approach. You don't need them if you are exercising a slip. I assume that the slip is "hard on the flaps" and not on the airplane. I have slipped Cessna's many times but not with the flaps deployed.

9. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I land St. Barth in the PC12 all the time.

10. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #10 solofast, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    My mis-spelling, but yes they do. This is one of the reasons the high wing Cessna's have such good short field performance. On high wing Cessna's, 172, 182, and 180's the flaps are on tracks and move aft as they are deployed. There's a considerable increase in wing area and for short field takeoffs the first notch of flaps is recommended and on some models up to two notches can be used.

Although they've cut the maximum flap position to 30 degrees on some newer models the 40 degree flap setting gave you a really short approach. You couldn't do a go-around at that flap setting so there was more pilot workload because as you applied power you had to retract one or two notches of flaps, which is likely the reason they got rid of that position.

Low wing aircraft couldn't have flaps like that or they'd be dragging their flaps on the ground.

High wing Cessna's aren't the fastest airplanes in their class but every airplane is a compromise. The gaps for those fowler flaps cost you about 2 knots of speed, but the also improve the low speed performance in terms of low speed handling and short field performance.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    In one of the pictures, the scooter driver seems to be ducking his head as the aircraft approaches.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they do for private pilot training at least, not sure for commercial operations.

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One of the first things I learned in sailplanes years ago. I don't remember (but not sure) the power plane instructor even bringing it up before I soloed in a Piper.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Rob. I haven't been too close to what the FAA is requiring now.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    however, as we've talked about no more spins. :(

16. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Scroll thru the pix in the article...last few shots are of a Pilatus landing there...