Largest Warbird to fly to Oshkosh 2016 | FerrariChat

Largest Warbird to fly to Oshkosh 2016

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jacob Potts, Apr 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    #1 Jacob Potts, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I was doing airshows at Abottsford in the 60's they had the Mars at the show for two years if I remember. They built a large shack on the field for the Mars to water bomb it. The drop not only extinguished the fire that they had set but it flattened the shack. That airplane is something to see!

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #4 F1tommy, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found this picture of a Martin Mars docked on Lake Michigan right next the Adler Planetarium and Soldiers Field in downtown Chicago taken in 1949.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    #5 chopperdr, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    A plane that has a long operational history here in BC. Yes, they did make appearances at Abbotsford, I remember seeing them there too. But in the late 70's and early 80's.

My uncle worked for the lumber giant Canfor. Started out logging in the 70's. Managing crews in the 80's, and finally at the head office in the 90's. Back in the 70's and 80's, any forest fire in the province, loggers had to fight them as crew. My uncle has a large photo collection of forest fires and planes including this one fighting them.

You'd also on occasion see them flying fairly low over head on their way to fight a forest fire. Especially if you lived in the Fraser Valley closer to the forests.

7. N.Okrusko

N.Okrusko Rookie

Jan 17, 2016
    Saw the Martin Mars a few months back flying over the North Shore. Very cool to see in person.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Saw a great show on this airplane on TV, don't remember the network though. Very impressive airplane, pilots, and maintainers.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Have not been to Oshkosh in 15 years but will have to go now to see this airplane.