Air Drop accident..... | FerrariChat

Air Drop accident.....

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MarkPDX, Apr 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #1 MarkPDX, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Not a good day for dropping Hummers....... whoever did the inspection on these loads maybe needs some remedial training. Waiting to hear if it's guys I know who were doing these drops, not that the aircrew knows wtf happened but I'm sure they will still get questioned. What you are seeing 6 seconds, 45 seconds and 1:22 seconds are Hummers that were apparently not properly secured to the pallets used for airdrop and plummeting sans parachute.

US Army destroys 3 Humvees when parachutes fail during training mission | Daily Mail Online

If you don't like enthusiastic cussing during the destruction of taxpayer dollars probably best to turn the sound down
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Rpj8Gpw0w&sns=em[/ame]

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #2 MarkPDX, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    When I was in the 82nd, Army riggers packed and secured the palletized equipment. I also though USAF crew chiefs did another inspection since they load and drop?

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah..... A few people dropped the ball on this one.

5. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Once... happenstance
    Twice... coincidence
    Thrice... enemy action

Given that they were from three different aircraft it seem inconceivable that it can be anything other than a systemic error... or sabotage.

6. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hopefully it comes out of their paycheck instead of mine...wishful thinking.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

You (and I) paid for those Hummers.

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The guys filming it had a good laugh.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And no one will be truly held accountable.

10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Not saying it is a good thing, but I've seen more $$$ go up in smoke when the wrong fuse was pulled to initiate a training drill on a submarine. Just ONE of the fire control cards that was wiped out had a replacement cost of something like $250k. Seem to remember the dollar value on the incident report was in the 2.2 million range...

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yea. I am glad the taxpayers supplied them with so much amusement.

12. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yep..... As a taxpayer it's irritating but I gotta say that a lot of us would probably have at least a little bit of a laugh watching something like this.

Biggest airdrop accident I was involved in was maybe a decade ago.... They had a fancy new system that was supposed to allow you to drop something from high altitude and it would fall under a small stabilization chute until it got to a thousand feet or somothing and then it would pop the regular parachutes. On one test drop things didn't work quite right and the 10k lb test pallet never deployed its main parachutes and made quite a nice crater falling 25,000 feet to the ground.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And the same people probably complain when the tax payers wont give them everything they want.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Not only that, but the statistics on number of military fatalities during 'training' and in peacetime is also astounding.

15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    What statistics are those because....... I just am not seeing an astounding number of service related fatalities unless you include the commute to and from work and off duty stuff. People do die, sometimes for stupid reasons if you see the C-130 crash thread, but overall the risk of being in the military is pretty low. If I think over the most dangerous stuff I have been involved in the airdrops at the basic airborne course at Ft Benning is probably the highest risk. There are hundreds of students that do a few thousand drops over the course of a week including being loaded up with combat gear and at night. I have been out there a few times and have dropped several thousand bodies but have yet to see anyone with anything more serious than broken limbs. I like to go out to the drop zone when I have the opportunity and watch the guys drop and despite the shear number of people falling from the sky it seems like they have the safety aspect down pretty well. Closest thing I have seen to things going really awry was a skinny guy that got caught in a thermal and he drifted a mile or three off the drop zone.

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    unfortunate but not uncommonly familiar in accountability: albeit with the Internet now someone's head will roll.

remember tons of times when a sailor would rather chuck a tool overboard rather than walk it back to the locker or even worse things.

Always tried to UCMJ them but not every case was found: guaranteed that there is a small fortune in San Diego bay near any dock

17. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Really ? most peacetime deaths are car accidents and bike accidents and a few suicides.

Training deaths are pretty low.

Most deaths innthe military are preventable mishaps but you cant stop em all.

Plenty of humvees are destroyed in training fslling from the sky it just usually doesnt make it on the internet.

18. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    That's why the Captain always goes down with the ship...

(Duckin)

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Yeah, but the enjoyment I got out of watching this is worth my share in those trucks any day. I say destroy some more, film it, and let us watch. Better than sending them to stupid places with our kids inside and have them be a part of the destruction.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I was in the service during the big fight, there were many many injuries and deaths from every day non-combatant operations. It was no big deal then and one became inured to it. There was always a screwup in the mix that somehow never got filtered out.

21. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I'd bet some careers will be ruined.. Most of that kind of stuff has to have a sign-off and they'll for sure go back and the guy who signed it off will catch hell. Particularly since it's on the national news... Nobody likes bad publicity.

22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

When I hear about a rigging failure like this, I always remember that terrible 747 freighter that took off from Baghram 3-4 years ago.

Rigging failed; Armored vehicle cargo broke loose on TO and rolled to the rear of the plane.

Plane stalled, crashed and burned at the end of the runway.

All on a dashcam.

Horrible.

Glad no one was killed/injured in this one.

23. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I've said this before on another thread, but that 747 crash almost killed me. I was running perimeter road at BAF and had just rounded the east end if the runway when it crashed on the road. 3-5 minutes earlier takeoff and there is zero doubt I would have been a ground fatality...I dove behind a short T wall when I felt the blast wave. Sad, sad, sad...

24. jheppner

jheppner Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    NY
    Just saw this thread. Had to buy the t-shirt. $5 from every purchase was also getting donated to fisher house in the name of the commander of the 173rd. At least one positive came of it lol.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Where do you get the shirt? That's awesome.