OH-58 going away / world record formation | FerrariChat

OH-58 going away / world record formation

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MarkPDX, Apr 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Pretty cool formation going away for the OH-58

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkUQc9a7Hpo&sns=em[/ame]

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Man, that's a lot of air being beaten into submission!:D

Good thing they kept them widely separated, too. I've seen other attempts at helicopter formation flight end disastrously when rotor clash led to bad results.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was thinking the same thing when I watched that. I was figuring at least one rotor diameter clearance and 50 feet up from the aircraft ahead. Just thinking.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Huge knifefight on retiring the OH-58 and stealing all the guard and reserve Apaches to replace them in active duty units. Not sure if it has been settled yet. Stealing guard and reserve assets always causes a huge howl in Congress, and this was no exception.

5. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Was sad to see our local Apaches go.

They were all replaced with Blackhawks.

Heard a lot of Kiowa crews are moving to drones. That's gotta suck.

6. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I don't see The OH-58 platform going away anytime soon....

7. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    They are going to replace an observation helicopter with an attack helicopter? Why? I don't understand.

8. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The OH-58 is armed...

The main difference that distinguishes the Kiowa Warrior from the original AHIP aircraft is a universal weapons pylon found mounted on both sides of the aircraft. These pylons are capable of carrying combinations of AGM-114 Hellfire missiles, air-to-air Stinger (ATAS) missiles, 7-shot 2.75 in (70 mm) Hydra-70 rocket pods,[67] and an M296 .50 caliber machine gun

While nowhere near as effective as an Apache, the OH-58 does just fine. The Apache is nowhere near the observation platform that the OH-58 is..

Never doubt that the military can make a bad decision when the budgets get cut to nothing, and they have to do something to save money.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One of the big advantages of the OH-58 was the high mounted pod that allowed them to hide below hills or tree lines while designating for Hellfires or other PGMs. The Apache does not have that, but does have other survivability features like suppressed IR signature and beyond visual range weapons, especially the D model.

10. jheppner

jheppner Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    NY
    Yes the OH-58 is going away. Already happened. We all caught a big shocker last week at aircraft selection. Apaches have been hard to come by lately. Maybe one or two per selection. My buddies had 12 available last week. Its been a mix of Echo's and Deltas. We'll see how it plays out at my selection in 3 weeks. Im flying OH-58 A/C's right now and they are a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Wagner's "Ride of the valkyries" started to play in my head immediately when I saw the formation.