Well I haven't tried aerobatics yet so I bought this thing... | FerrariChat

Well I haven't tried aerobatics yet so I bought this thing...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by dmark1, May 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 dmark1, May 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Christen Eagle II

Wish me luck! Starting instruction to compete in Sportsman next year. Instructor is Jason Newburgh a long time airshow fixture around here.

Loved flying it right side up, hopefully more fun inverted!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Nice wings! You should be chatting with LouB747........

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Did not realize they were still wire bracing wings. Interesting. Fokker gave up on wire bracing in 1917 with the introduction of the Fokker Dr.I. But that was not a 9 g airframe.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In the early 90's I lived near Walt Redfern and visited him many times when he was building a Fokker D-6 replica. When we installed the upper wing, I could not believe how heavy it was. Those two box spars were indestructible...and heavy. Wires are pretty light and strong and make a nice song.

5. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #5 LouB747, May 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice! I'm been partners in an Eagle II for a couple years now. It's fun, and I like a lot of things about the plane. I find landings a bit challenging, but maybe because I'm not used to sitting 18 inches off the ground. I'm not a real acro guy, and just do the basic maneuvers. Negative G doesn't do much for me, I guess I'm getting old. I do like flying it low level pulling Gs in turns. The only real gripe I have with the plane is yaw (others say the same). It seems almost impossible to keep the ball centered. Anything you do seems to put it out one way or the other. I guess being short coupled has that effect. It seems to have plenty of power. Looks like you have taller gear. There a gear mod to strengthen the airframe. You might want to check and see if it's been done. Cracks have happened on a number of Eagles.

Congrats. Looks awesome. Look forward to more pics and some videos.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That looks awesome!

Matt

7. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    +1 Multiple GoPros please!

8. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I flew with a guy (Whit) in his Christen Eagle II out of John Wayne airport years ago and the airline pilots were saluting us as we taxied around them.

9. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    We have put them everywhere. Best is below the tail for a unique angle. Duct tape works well for the wing strut.

http://youtu.be/cmBo6hUo2Bg

10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nice. Does it have smoke?

Haven't flown any of them, but by most accounts Eagle easier than a Pitts S2 which is much easier than a Pitts S1.
    :D Used to hand the Mooney about 2 ft high after flying the 206 amphib.

12. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, try going from 747 to Eagle. About as extreme a difference as you can get.

13. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Mate of mine is A380 captain.. and also built and flies 100hp 2 seat Jabiru.. another example of extreme!

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was friends with and flew with two airline pilots who, like Lou, flew small biplanes when they were off duty. They performed "precision maneuvers" as they called them. All were good pilots in anything and claimed that aerobatics made one a better pilot. One of them who has passed flew a Bucker and did everything. I saw him do an outside loop one day and popped a blood vessel in his forehead so he quit that stuff because he was in his 50's. His favorite saying was, " I fly nose draggers for work and tail draggers for fun."

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Isn't that like landing a 5 story building?

16. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Something like that. I've heard your eyes are at 32 feet while on the ground. In the flare you're around 45 I'm guessing. It feels totally natural when you're used to it.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I heard that a take off in bad weather that the wheels can be in IFR and the flight deck is VFR. That's really big.

18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Nice. Enjoy.

19. Maciej

Maciej Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    NNJ
    Full Name:
    Maciej
    So you're the one, I came across it on Barnstormers and you beat my buddy by about a half hour with the phone call for it. Congrats!

20. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah I heard that. I missed out on another one that was in California and was waiting to pounce. The fact it was close by to my Dallas home made it easy.

Went out for my first session of "bounce and goes" with my instructor today. Since I have no taildragger time to speak of it was quite and experience. Never grinned so much while being terrified LOL.

Spin training next week. Can hardly wait for my first inverted flat spin recovery......not.

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Does anybody teach Rudder Exercise Stalls? That will awaken your feet and if you do get that training you should have spin training first because you will probably put the airplane into a spin the first time you screw up a stall with full back stick medium speed and a high AOA. The only effective control is the rudder.

22. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good luck with the new plane, Mark. Did you get this in lieu of the AutoGyro? Or is that still on the agenda.

23. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1. In most Cessna's it pretty easy, since they just mush down in a stall regardless. But other airplanes .....

24. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, I had 0 tailwheel time when I got my Eagle. Yes, it's quite an experience! If you have any questions, send me a PM and we'll talk. I haven't spun mine yet. I guess I should at some point. Apparently if you are too aggressive with the recovery it will go into an inverted spin and vice versa. There's an accident report stating this as the cause. Anyways, have fun with the landings. They can be very interesting. Power can save your ass when things don't look or go right. Everytime I'm on the downwind I think to myself, damn, I have to land this thing!