Need some Gear Heads to volunteer with some aviation history - SR-71 Related | FerrariChat

Need some Gear Heads to volunteer with some aviation history - SR-71 Related

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TrojanFan, May 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 TrojanFan, May 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Edwards AFB Flight Test Museum has over 90 aircraft of various type and historical value under their care as well as all sorts of support equipment. We had a great tour of the Museum as part of the FCA-SW Exotic Car Show on base. What I learned was that the budget for the museum is only $1,500. Everything else that they do comes from donations and volunteers.

I mentioned that there were a lot of Gear Heads around that I may be able to round up for a weekend or two to help out and what could we do?

What they need help with is restoring a "start cart" for the SR-71 spy plane (photo below of the plane not the cart). It's powered by two Buick Wildcat V-8's and they would like to get the cart running and restored. The cart spins the engines before the engines are ignited.

Anyone interested in volunteering for a shift or two evaluating what the cart needs and what we can do to get it running? You get to help out a great cause preserving our aviation history and get to see some real cool stuff in the process. I'm thinking one or two days sometime this Summer. The carts are at the Spy Plane exhibit near the Lockheed plant in the Palmdale are. There are also things to do on the base at Edwards.

They also have 4 fire trucks that they would like to get at least one or two running again but the start cart looks to me the first priority.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login