KAL 777 engine fire in Tokyo | FerrariChat

KAL 777 engine fire in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by beast, May 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    One of the older ones (>18yo), not that that has anything to do with this incident. Although it is not uncommon for planes to be retired/sold/scrapped due to upcoming maintenance requirements. 773's are widely propular, so we'll see what becomes of this airframe. Interesting that this aircraft has PW's, whereas GE90's became the sole engine on later 773's.
    https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/Boeing/777/27950/HL7534-Korean-Air-Lines

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The BA 777-200 that was damaged in Vegas was repaired and is now back in service.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/Boeing/777/29320/G-VIIO-British-Airways

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If it happened today the outcome might have been different. The 772 market has changed dramatically in the last year, i.e. prices dropping like a rock.

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    This one will be repaired also. Atleast the core is intact. A normal contained engine failure on the Korean.

6. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Haven't looked into airframe specifically, but the GE90 I believe became sole supplier on the ER models (and this may be a nonER model). In fact, once ER introduced I don't think the non-ER version was purchased any longer. Non-ER good for high density but not quite long haul routes