P-47 Down | FerrariChat

P-47 Down

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, May 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I just saw on the news that a P-47 has gone down in the Hudson River near where Sully's incident took place. No word about why or about survivors.

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Body pulled from the plane at/around 10:30PM.

RIP

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    A shame that the pilot was lost and that one of the few remaining flying P-47s was lost. They plan on pulling the aircraft up, so am sure someone will restore her. Splash pattern almost looks like he was trying to ditch her. Will look in my P-47 flight manual and see what it says about ditching a P-47.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Whoever salvages this airplane has got to know how to do it. If not, they can tear it apart in the process. Really sad that the pilot couldn't extricate himself fast enough. I imagine that he got hung up on something. Too bad.

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #8 tazandjan, May 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#9 Tcar, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Surprisingly little damage to the airframe and it appears that the salvage people did it right, slow and easy and applying the lift to something that could take the load. it also looks like the canopy isn't all the way aft, but the recovery of the pilot could have done that too.

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Veering off-topic a bit, but, why is it that I read 3 different news reports yesterday, each of which said the pilot had been recovered and taken to the hospital "with minor injuries"????

WTF? Is this the state of 'news reporting' now? Just write anything, so you can post it....facts don't matter at all....

/rant

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Many reporters are more interested in taking a chance that they can get a "scoop" instead of simply reporting what info they have. Some of the time they couldn't care less about being accurate. Be first, be bizarre, and take a chance that nobody notices your gamble. Grab the public!

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    NJ State Police released info that the pilot was rescued but then retracted that message. Apparently a swimmer was rescued at the same time.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not sure how much credence to put on eye witness reports he was struggling with his harness trying to get out. Not much.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #15 TheMayor, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Rebuildable. Actually lucky she went down in the river

Sad for the pilot though. Has anyone ever thought of retrofitting an ejector seat in vintage aircraft?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Complicated, heavy, and you need the canopy to jettison, too, or provide a spike on top of the seat. The Me-262 had an early one.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Shouldn't there be a 'quick release' button/knob'lever for the harness?

Actually, I thought they all had them.

Unless they had a period-correct harness that was not as easy to release.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, according to the P-47 flight manual for bailing out, you had to manually disconnect the shoulder harness, intercom leads, oxygen tubing, and safety belt. Quite a list. The canopy could be manually jettisoned on all the bubble canopy versions, but that obviously was not done. For ditching, the flight manual recommends unfastening the parachute, refastening the seat belt and shoulder harness and locking the harness. Land just above stall, raising left arm to protect the face and absorb impact.

In general the flight manual recommends bailing out rather than ditching, but this time it looks like he had no choice.

18. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    NYC on one side of the river and Weehawken Hoboken etc on the other. River was the safest option to avoid collteral damage. The pilot did the right thing and diex for it.

R.I.P.

He was supposed to fly an airshow at Jones Beach on Long Island. We have a summer home nearby, and the Museum of Flight aircraft are over the beach every holiday weekend.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Not sure if true...hope not...but one report had him and another aircraft doing a low altitude photo run down the river when the engine quit. Suck either way.

Regarding unstrapping, it's not easy from any fighter. Hence getting out is bold face. For the Viper:

THROTTLE-OFF
    SEAT-SAFE
    BELT/KIT/SHOULDER HARNESS-RELEASE

You have to know this stuff cold...practice it every time you get out routinely. Otherwise getting hung up because you forgot something could be the last mistake you ever make.

20. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As I said in the other thread I saw one of these two planes circling around my house and I thought it was part of putting on a show. I only had half vision of the flight path but the plane made at least two circles like it was making an attack run but I couldn't say if it was the P40 or P47. My photo isn't good enough to tell. After that It disappeared over the hill going south down the Hudson. Shortly after that the emergency vehicles went crazy and we quickly surmised what had happened. Someone said the p40 circled for a while after the P47 hit the water. The photos of the plane still afloat with canopy open are taken by a customer from a riverfront restaurant about 1/4 to 1/2 a mile south of us.