Had to happen to this flight school | FerrariChat

Had to happen to this flight school

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FERRARI-TECH, Jun 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Its a real shame and totally unnecessary, But this flight school is a running joke around KVNY. The aircraft are in a terrible state of repair, at least 4 know incidents in the last 2 years, that we know of, including having to land on a freeway a few miles from the airport a couple months ago, FAA shutting them down once or twice due to poor maintenance, and now this.... Cant say we are surprised, but there is just no place for shoddy flight schools in this day and age....

How does the FAA allow places like this to still operate... Crazy....RIP :(

2 passengers, single-engine plane last seen in Catalina Island | abc7.com

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Why don't more people use flight following? Might be a dumb question but just asking....would that have helped locate his last know location? Could be below radar or no coverage?

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Ff available on a workload permitting basis. They may have been denied.

4. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Pretty rare, especially around that area, its really busy ( long beach, Torrance, LAX, John Wayne), and SoCal approach/departure are really good.. I've never been denied, sometimes had to wait a few minutes, but they get to you.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A C150 that I had been doing my IFR training in lost a jug about a week after I switched instructors and aircraft, so maintenance could have been an issue. However, the vast majority of accidents are pilot error.

Not unusual for people to go low level around the island (I think there is a vidieo or two on this forum ;) ), which would put them in such an environment (i.e. below or no radar coverage). I'd be looking within a 1/4 mile of shore.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    pain in the ass around DFW, ATC is flat out rude to you when asking. they are just too busy for it.

7. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Not sure why...we're doing all the work now with the newer climb/descend via STAR/SIDs.

8. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Catalina's mountain-top airport gives you no second chances on takeoff. If there's no record of a distress call or other communication from the plane after departure I'd be looking not far off the end of that runway.

>8^|
    ER

9. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

Or file a VFR flight plan. Might have started the search process a little bit earlier. It seems Encore should have its record and aircraft pulled off line and inspected.

10. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

They have had that happen a couple of times, but always seem to be up and at it a few days later.

The plane that landed on the freeway earlier this year was theirs as well, yet I can find no record of it in the NTSB data base, like it never happened.

Small plane lands on freeway in Ventura County, shocking (and delaying) motorists - LA Times

if it walks like a duck...;)

11. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Does NTSB typically investigate those sorts of things if there are no injuries or damage?

>8^)
    ER

12. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Yes. Running out of gas for instance is frowned upon.
    Now if you are forced to land on some backwoods road because of carb ice and you takeoff before someone sees you then that's another story.