Latest Cirrus Crash | FerrariChat

Latest Cirrus Crash

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Jun 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I am dumbfounded at the descriptive report on the news tonight about the fatal crash in Houston. I can't comprehend the track made by the pilot attempting eight times to land in VFR while she was trying to get lined up on the runway. Can someone educate me here? I feel bad about the fact that all aboard were killed but I simply cannot understand the lack of control by the pilot...too high, too low, and wandering all over the landscape.

2. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Pilot probably incapacitated in some way... .. Hard to believe that anyone who got a license would be that bad. Perhaps exhaust leak or something like that. Pilot toxicology report will likely tell a lot..

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Witnesses reported a sputtering, spitting engine note. Could have engine failure or fuel ran out. This crash was about 12 miles from me.
    Greg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Looks like the BRS cover is off and the rocket is hanging out. Sounds like she was overwhelmed. 13G18 shouldn't be that big a deal, but 737s and 747s behind you may be.

5. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r
    according to local reports, she made two landing attempts. she was warned of possible turbulence from a large airliner that had taken off. that could be the reason for th go around. however, the crash sight had no fire or leaked fuel reportedly. the speculation is that she ran out of fuel. she was at low altitude and going slow. this may be the reason the parachute system didnt help or it discharged at impact. either way. sad day.

6. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    After every single crash, someone will report they heard the engine sputtering. One case I have, we know for a fact the pilot augered in under full power in a big bore Mooney, yet someone reported the engine sputtering and ceasing up. Another case I have, jet crashed after takeoff with the engine making 100% power; witness reported an engine failure. The ****ing engine ran at full blast after the crash for 30 minutes. Never fails. :)

Not saying it didn't happen, but take such reports with a grain of salt.

Mark

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I hear ya. News report said several witnesses all heard the engine sounding unhealthy/unnatural. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nothing less reliable than an uneducated eye witness.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    any off-field you'll shut the engine down and turn fuel off once you've cleared your landing spot.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Two people killed in a crash in Hawthorne, California where the airplane penetrated a town home. I don't want to sound like some kind of perfect expert but I have a feeling that something about flying skills is not in the syllabus.

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There is video of the impact on the internet. It was pretty clearly a stall/spin.

RIP... very sad.

13. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yup flat spin after lining up with the wrong runway, circling to get lined up with the right runway then a balked landing then stalled, crashed.

I would like to know how much time the pilot had and how much time he had in the plane.

Monday morning quarter backing is not my thing but this does not look good for the PIC, not that it matters at this point.

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Three Go arounds due to one wrong runway line up and twice for being too high. If you read the ATC tapes, you can hear how out of her element she was...and how frustrated the controller was.

She held a PPL as of 2014 so low time was a factor.

15. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #16 gday, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  16. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Such a tragic situation.

Sounds like she got "way behind" in controlling the airplane.
    She should have focused on her pattern power settings and airspeed targets as she maneuvered to get lined up with the runway.

Also, is a Cirrus hard to get to descend on final?
    A Cessna 182 drops like a rock if you forward slip it.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the Columbia is easy to drop speed and altitude plus you have the speed brakes. speed brakes don't raise stall speed either. it also reacts quickly to power getting the speed up. the 182 wasn't too bad getting speed off, now the 172 was hard for me until I learned to hit numbers, base, and final speeds within a couple knots. Columbia doesn't matter I'm 100 kts short final many times and still ok on the numbers stall.

18. MWHC4S

MWHC4S Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FYI, fairly detailed writings and pictures on Kathryn's Report.
    Posted June 9, N4252G Safe Aviation.
    At the end of the report there is a fair amount of opinions and responses/comments (performance of ATC vs. pilot).
    Might be interesting for some of the more experienced on FChat, to review and comment here on some of the various comments.

19. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Oh no, not the dreaded downwind turn.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #21 Bob Parks, Jun 11, 2016
    When I was a student I received some extensive and somewhat scary instruction in the dangers of a low speed low altitude downwind turn. I was lured into it by my instructor and made a steep turn that developed into a stall and spin...at 900 feet. I am not familiar with the flight characteristics of a Cirrus but I imagine that it isn't too friendly at low speeds.

21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When flying in the clouds, i.e. no visual reference to the ground, neither the plane or pilot knows if they are turning upwind or down wind. So anything attributed to a downwind turn is not related to aerodynamics, rather it is pilot perception/error. Impossible to attribute after the fact when the pilot is deceased.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Understand. Perhaps I misunderstood that this incident happened in VFR conditions.

23. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #24 gday, Jun 11, 2016
    It was VFR and winds had been gusting up to 20 kts.

My previous "downwind" description was too abbreviated as a result of just listening to the ATC recording. Try "stalled during the turn into the downwind leg and entered a flat spin". Below is the tail of the ATC coms.

-mick

Pilot: “Runway 3-5 in sight. 42-52 Golf.”

Air Traffic Control: “5-2 Golf, winds zero niner zero at 13. Gusts at 1-8. Runway 3-5, again cleared to land.”

Pilot: “3-5, cleared to land. Trying to get down again (laughs). 42-45 Golf.”

Air Traffic Control: “No problem.”

1:08 p.m.

Air Traffic Control: “Cirrus 42-52 Golf just go ahead and make the left turn now to enter the downwind, midfield downwind for only four, if you can just give me a nice tight pattern, I’m going to have traffic four miles behind you so I need you to just kind of keep it in tight if you could. And actually I might end up sequencing behind that traffic it’s going four miles a minute, it is going to be a little bit tight with the one behind it, so when you get on that downwind, stay on the downwind and advise me when you have that 737 in site, will either do four or we might swing you around to 3-5. Uh ma’am, ma’am straighten up straighten up.”

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thank you! Can't help but feel sorry for the lady, she got in over her head.