Gulfstream I for sale | FerrariChat

Gulfstream I for sale

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Controller.com | 1968 GULFSTREAM I For Sale

Always thought these were really cool, the beginning. Kind of like a vintage 70 Hatteras or better yet Burger, Feadship.

So, someone on here buy it so we can make trips to EAA and the FCA national meets....What's all that stuff on the shelves?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    2 tons of Commodore 64 drawing 10kW to provide in-flight entertainment on a 3" green screen.. only the latest and the best gear used here! ;)

3. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Ive never seen the inside of a GI, nice to see the evolution from that to The GIV's and GV's.

Those are various avionics boxes on the shelves.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Isn't the cabin basically the same, up through the GIV?

5. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #5 lear60man, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Over time it has been lengthened here and there and the interior furnishings (sidewalls, seats, configurations) changed.

I would group the GI and GII cabins on one side and GIII-G550 into another. Height and width being the same for both goups.

From a passenger perspective a G3 and 550 cabins are only an inch apart length wise. Most of the tube length is stretched foreward of the stairs to accommodate for avionics and a crew rest area. So the pax dont get the benefit of the extra plug.

This is one of my favorite interiors. I took delivery of this plane for a new owner back in 2013.

https://www.claylacy.com/our-fleet/plane/gulfstream-givsp-n814rr

6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Stunning! First thing on my list when I hit mega millions.

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  8. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

In summer of 2013 we took on 8-9 GIV's I had my choice of owners/planes. This was a close second to what I fly. My plane isnt as purdy insinde but I have an all male crew, great owners etc etc.

Ill start another thread of the other end of the spectrum. stand by:)

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Tell us about the Playboy days!

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    back in the day, when electronics used tubes, then transistors on the way to ICs and miniturization there was room only for the displays on an aircraft panel... the rest of the gear that did all the work was mounted in racks in an area away from the cockpit designated for the then large heavy electronics requiring large amounts of power... today the GA electronics generally are part of the display, light in weight, and use very little power... releasing that area and weight for other uses

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Crazy, I assume its has been updated since 1968 but looks like it could be again. It would be cool to have one of these totally up-fitted.

12. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The avionics racks on my GIV look similar to the picture in the OPs first post. I also have a G-meter, USB loading thingy for my FMS database updates and some other boxes I dont touch.

Juan, I worked for Hustler not Playboy....but who splitting hairs hahahah. I AM MARRIED AND AM FAITHFUL. (the previous was written in case my wife finds this threadhahahah).

Fun job, crap pay, lot and lots and lots of time off. If you liked to chase strippers at the Hustler club, You got a little card good for any club anywhere. When you walked in they knew your were Larrys pilots, and word spread. Me? I got a ton of stuff done around my houses, lots of time to fix and remodel.

13. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    G-1 cross section is exactly the same as a G-II, G-III and G-IV up until about 1218. At 1218 the bell frames on the interior side were reshaped slightly to give more headroom.

Notice that this G1 is in a commuter/airline configuration not VIP. I suspect that there are only a handful, or fewer, G-Is that are still in operation.

Learman: You fly Hustler's black G-II? Tedro still working for Clay?

Jeff

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I always wondered how you got Larry up and down the air stair?

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    We had an aluminum air stair chair. One guy on top and another on the bottom. Most of the time it was 2 bodyguards doing the lifting. Sometimes It was one of us at one end or the other. That was a good opportunity to crack crass jokes to a captive audience. I would take the bottom end and fire off jokes one after another till the top. Then disappear to the cockpit. Larry is a funny, smart guy.....always loves a good joke.

16. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    So did you spend a lot of time in the Black Bentley with the plates "Hustler?"

17. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

No, I drove the plane. Security drove the Bently......they had the tough job.

18. Paul N

Paul N Karting

Aug 8, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Would love to pick this up and maybe a DC3. Keeping types current in my fantasy fleet is going to be quite the task.

19. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I'm never in here to post, but found this little oval window Lear for sale, $99k.
    I love airplanes, especially early biz planes like the G1, early single window Lear, Staggerwing, and early V35. All incredibly cheap save for the Staggerwing and this G1.
    Noise probably an issue, used to use a friend's 25D like a Suburban though.
    How stupid an idea is this?
    Controller.com | LEARJET 24XR For Sale - 1 Listings - Page 1.

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Airplane needs hush kits, RVSM, and probably a lot of deferred maintenance. I'd guess $250k to get it airworthy and useful. The good news is that someone did the 12 year in 2014(!!), and put in a Garmin 430, so maybe the deferred maintenance isn't so bad.

Hopefully it's parked someplace where you can get hush kits put on, because I don't think you can fly it until you do that. That's why the ad mentions that it must be sold before December 31... they meant 2015, because that's the last day it could be flown out of wherever it is.

If you really want a 24, and I have to admit they are a lot of fun (and I've tried to pencil it out a few times myself), get one like this:

Controller.com | 1976 LEARJET 24F For Sale

Or this:

Controller.com | 1977 LEARJET 24E For Sale

21. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    were you around when Flynt had the BAC110 (0r what ever the correct designation was for that DC-9 wanna be )

22. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    shouldn't be a problem to get a ferry permit, if it's only the dates that have run out...

it's the total budget that would be a deal killer, when there are plenty of better useable aircraft at lower budget that can offer reasonable service for a few more years before being totally gone

23. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    BAC 1-11 is the correct designator.

I know nothing about Flynt having one but there are a bunch of others that I am aware of that were VIP. Even flew on a few including the last one built - did the conversion to VIP of s/n 260 and 262.

Earliest Flynt jet I knew of and saw at Van Nuys was the G-II.

Jeff

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A friend of mine long ago flew a BAC 1-11 for Louisiana Pacific. They bought it from Leona Helmsley, as I recall, and the amazing thing (to me) was that it had a Jenn Air range in the galley. Yes, you read that right.

I think LP only had it for a couple of years.

25. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I only flew him in the GIV. IIRC, went from a G2 to the IV. I think there was another jet before the GII, a westwind maybe?