Toasty 777 | FerrariChat

Toasty 777

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MarkPDX, Jun 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I don't understand why they would have everybody stay on the plane while they put out the fire.

Why didn't they evacuate on the left side while the right side burned. I know for damn sure I'd be going for one if those exits, if that wing blew up they'd all be toast I imagine.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Easier to put out a fire with all the passengers more or less safely inside the plane than trying them all out with a fire going on. I doubt there is any risk of the wing exploding, more likely it would just continue leaking a bunch of fuel which would feed the fire.

3. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Good to know, tho I'm sure even knowing that I would be having a bit of a panic attack lol

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I saw a photo of the wing after the fire was put out that would lead me to believe that the aircraft will be a write-off. Boeing 777 hull losses have been due to a rather bizarre series of events over the years!

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Always have to evaluate the egress process.... In this case I think you would literally be getting out of the frying pan and into the fire.

If I recall correctly the 777 that landed short of the runway a year or three ago in San Fransisco? didnt generate any direct casualties but a couple people were run over and killed by fire trucks responding to the crash.

You aren't kidding.... I would say that is probably a testament to its popularity and safety.

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess

7. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    There's a fine long thread, mostly arguing this question, over at pprune.org: SIA plane catches fire.. - PPRuNe Forums

8. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I believe 6 people were thrown from the plane when the tail came off - 2 passengers and 4 crew. The 4 crew survived - the 2 passengers (young Chinese girls) did not. Foam had covered both the girls and as a result one was run over by a fire truck however, it was finally concluded that she was deceased before she was run over. And yes it was a 777 back in 2013.

-mick