Another Doolittle Raider Gone | FerrariChat

Another Doolittle Raider Gone

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by mikecap, Jul 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikecap

mikecap Rookie

Apr 23, 2004
    #1 mikecap, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sad news – the second to last of the 1942 Doolittle “Raiders” recently died. David Thatcher was 94 and only 19 years old when he flew in Ship # 7 “The Ruptured Duck” off the Hornet in April 1942.

If any of you have seen the movie (or read the book) “Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo”, David Thatcher was the flight engineer and gunner and was the only one of the crew of five that was uninjured when the B-25 ditched along the coast of China. All five of the crew survived and made it back home. The pilot (Ted Lawson) had to have his leg amputated in a China hospital. Many of the Raiders went on to serve out the rest of the war in Europe and David Thatcher went to North Africa. He was on the first bombing mission over Rome in 1943.

The only living Raider is now Richard Cole (100 years old). It seems fitting somehow as he was Jimmy Doolittle’s copilot in Ship # 1.

In 2002 on the sixtieth anniversary of the raid I was doing some reading and called information to see if there was a David Thatcher listed in Missoula Montana. He was of course – I called, he answered the phone and I asked him, “Are you the David Thatcher from The Ruptured Duck?” He said he was and we had a nice chat – he agreed to sign my first printing “Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo” book, so I sent it to him with a bottle of New York maple syrup as thanks. He signed my book and sent me a nice note.

He was a sweet and kind man and a brave soul. RIP.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Wow...

My Dad's roomate in college was on the raid... don't remember his name offhand, not at my desk.

He did not survive the mission.

3. mikecap

mikecap Rookie

Apr 23, 2004
    His name would be one of the seven on the book flap minus Barr, Hite and Deshazer who I think were the ones found after the war in POW camps in China.

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    o/t I spoke to a pilot who was assigned to the 19th Pursuit before WW II. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor. Just after the attack, they pulled stored P-26's out of the crates and flew CAP missions with the Peashooter over the Hawaiian Islands. Years later, he became the XO of the 506th Wing (F-100D) - Tinker AFB in the late 1950's.

In less than twenty years, he went from the 'operational' Peashooter to the Hun :D. (Open cockpit and fixed landing gear to supersonic performance).

G/D Bless the brave B-25 crews. They lifted the American morale !!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

From memory (not faultless)

Don Fitzmaurice... think I recall Dad calling him ''Don".

6. mikecap

mikecap Rookie

Apr 23, 2004
    I looked him up at the Raider website. He died on bailout

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The footage of those binders taking off the Hornet is mesmerizing. In addition to morale, some say the raid made the Japanese leadership careless, precipitating the battle of Midway, the turning point in the Pacific War. Regardless, those guys are heros. Can't imagine the thoughts that went through their heads as they took off the carrier...T

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#8 Tcar, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    ...and/or drowned. Landed in the sea.

I think that's him. Dad's roomate finished one year of college then enlisted, so did he.

Unfortunately, my Dad passed 17 years ago, so I cannot ask him. Wish I knew for sure.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

...yes, having to takeoff way too early, knowing they didn't have fuel to get to their landing zones.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Greatest generation indeed, and even among those the Raiders were special. The first real boost in morale the American public enjoyed since Dec 1941.

My father flew P-47Ds with the 86th FBG in France and Germany. He went in 2003. The youngest of them were born in 1928 and are now at least 88.

11. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    #11 bcb70, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I was lurking through F-Chat this morning when I came across this thread. I happen to live in Oahu and went to Pearl Harbor and the Pacific Aviation Museum today. They have a B-25 display depicting the Doolittle Raid. There is also a list of crew losses.
    The Greatest Generation!

12. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    How many recent college graduates do you think would know what the Doolittle raid was?

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Many of them have no clue when WW-II was or who the main protagonists were.

14. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    Last year I had the opportunity to fly in a B-25 when it visited my home city.

It was a once in a lifetime experience.

The planes is incredibly noisy, no insulation, only a single layer of aluminum and a skeletal framework separating you from the open air.

When I mentioned the cost of the flight to a couple of friends they exclaimed "it cost how much?" I told them that they could have flown in one for free...... 70+ years ago.

I wasn't really paying for the flight, I was paying for the privilege of not getting shot at while in the air.

To the brave souls who flew those missions over enemy territory, my generation owes you a debt of gratitude.

Thank you

15. Freitag

Freitag Karting

Apr 7, 2009
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Helge Mamen
    Reading through the story about the raid I caught myself wondering what happened to the chinese people on the ground after the mission.

"250 000 chinese killed in retaliation for aiding the american airmen."

That is over 50% of total US casualities in WW2. The japanese brutality and magnitude of war crimes in China is just mindboggling.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I fear that your pessimism is likely well founded. I've probably watched the launch footage from the Hornet dozens of times in documentaries and it just beggars belief. Watching those big bombers rise & then dip as they clear the carrier deck, unbelievable. All volunteers. All heroes. Greatest Generation, indeed...T

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    True, but for some reason the Japanese get a pass for all of it.

18. mikecap

mikecap Rookie

Apr 23, 2004
    The great actor Fritz Weaver narrated a documentary once on the Japanese treatment of POW's and civilians in WW II. Can't remember the name of it but it stuck with me.

The last part of the narration was about the minimal pursuit and prosecution of the Japanese for war crimes and mass murder. The closing sentence was, "There was no Simon Wiesenthal in Japan."

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    From what I've read, the desire to get Japan back on her feet as quickly as possible, and with a pro-Western government, as a bulwark against Soviet expansionism led to many atrocities being overlooked or downplayed...T

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

This.

Was also a reason for the 'Bombs'... the US had to end the war in Japan before the Russians invaded Japan...

The Russians were quickly mobilizing to do just that.

Japan would have been divided up like Germany... Russians with an ice-free port on the Pacific... not good.

US could not let that happen.

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just watch the recent movie "Unbreakable" for some idea of the treatment of POWs.

22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It was much, much worse than "Unbreakable"... and you need to read the book "Unbreakable"... not the toned down movie.
    (This is graphic.)

From Bradley's book "Flyboys", an excellent book about WW II flyers:

An American Pilot was beheaded in front of his comrades, his liver cut out and eaten by the camp commander, and:

"Senior Japanese Army Officers hosted a Sake party for their Navy counterparts where the livers of American POWs were roasted and served as an appetizer. The Japanese Navy officers subsequently reciprocated by hosting a party where they butchered and served their own American POWs.[1]
    The book also documents Japanese cannibalization of not only the livers of freshly killed prisoners, but also the cannibalization-for-sustenance of living prisoners over the course of several days, amputating limbs only as needed to keep the meat fresh in the harsh jungle environment. It also cites cannibalism of Allied soldiers killed in action and of Japanese dead, wounded and by lot drawings.[3]
    These atrocities on Chichi-jima, were discovered in late 1945 and was investigated as part of the war crimes trials. In 1946, 30 Japanese soldiers were court-martialed on Guam and four officers (Maj. Matoba, Gen. Tachibana, Adm. Mori and Capt. Yoshii) were found guilty and hanged. All of the enlisted men were released within eight years..."

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've read the book. I've also read "Baa Baa Black Sheep" which describes similar events, and actually some of the same camps as 'Unbreakable." The main failing of the movie of "Unbreakable," in my opinion, is that it left out what happened to Zamperini after the war.

Were those camps the worst that the Japanese had to offer? Certainly not, as they killed a lot of POWs rather than bother with keeping them.

24. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#24 Tcar, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Agree.

Especially Zamparini's 'salvation'.
    Promoting religion is very unpopular in Hollywood.

And, yes Greg Boyington was in the same POW camp as Zamparini for a time. (I met Boyington before an airshow here in Colorado many years ago.)

25. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Yes..they weren't only executed but tortured..that seems to get lost in history re writes...
    a lot of folks blame MacArthur for not pursuing war crimes to the full extent.....