Commercial and Military Aviation 1935-1960 in color | FerrariChat

Commercial and Military Aviation 1935-1960 in color

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by F1tommy, Jul 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks for those old photos. None of them are as old as I am but they bring back many thoughts. I saw some of them when they were the latest and greatest.

2. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Great shots of the Constellation. I always loved the look of that plane. The non- tubular fuselage is so cool. No two cross sections are alike. It must have been very labor intensive and costly to build. It takes me back to my childhood when they were still flying the prop powered airliners into Quad City Airport near where I lived in Moline.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Interesting to see the C & S DC-4. Most of the photos I've seen were after the merger with Delta, when the aircraft had "Delta-C & S" logos.

And Constellations are always good to look at.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Long ago I read or was told that the fuselage profile was an NACA 23012 airfoil and that they put the circumferencials on that profile. Not a very efficient production method but certainly pretty. The whole airplane is pretty.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#6 Tcar, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    The first two pics are of Boeing airliners derived from WW II bombers.

B-17 to 307. First pressurized airliner.

B-29 to 377. Suffered from the same unreliable engines and propellers as the B-29.

Neither were very successful.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The Connie was even pretty on the ground... looked fast. Long nosegear was part of the 'look'.

I think it had a similar wing to the Lockheed P-38. (Clarence Kelly)

Was also designed to meet the needs of TWA and Howard Hughes, I read somewhere.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #8 F1tommy, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bob you might notice all the 377 photos were at or by the factory. That 377 flight line shot is at Renton. None of the 377's survive in original form(377's do survive in the Guppy)although many KC97/C97's do survive.

The Chicago and Southern shot was taken at Midway in 1948 along with the Midway 1939/1940 TWA 307 photos.

The Connie is amazing looking. I love the early non radar nose ones the best.

AOA lost their 377's to Pan Am............. RAMSA and NWA are taken at MIA and the scrapped 377 wing box at Oakland. These airplanes only stayed in frontline service for 10 years due to jets and engine issues. Can you imagine having to change all the spark plugs on an overnight, a common issue with all prop airliners....Not fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You jogged my memory by noticing where the shots were taken. The UAL 377 photo was taken on the east side of Boeing Field next to the "B-29 Hangar" where I worked in 1950. The earthen revetment was still there when I was working on the B-50 modification programs. The piled up dirt was to minimize bomb damage during WW2. Beacon Hill is in the background.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The first C-97s used the B-29 wings, engines and tail, but most of them, and all the 377s, used the later B-50 wings, engines and tail.

This entailed a change from the Wright R-3350 to the P&W R-4360. Neither engine was particularly reliable, but I think the 4360s were a little better. Most of the early issues with the 377 involved the hollow-blade props rather than the engines, but there will still issues even after the props were replaced.

I think the main problem with the 377 wasn't unreliability so much as the fact that they were more expensive to operate than the DC's and Connies.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Correct, Jim. I think that Boeing made a bad choice to go with the "C-97 style" of commercial airliner because of the R-4360 and the rather cumbersome double bubble fuselage. Pax liked the luxury and comfort of it but it was a terribly expensive vehicle to operate and maintain. Changing 56 spark plugs per engine wasn't a job, it was a career when you had to do it on all four engines.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Fantastic website, and great pictures!

12. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    In 1988 I went for a job interview at a Curtis Wright facility (IIC) that was in North Carolina... The job was for a program manager... They took me back to a room in the back of the facility and when he turned on the lights there was a huge transfer line that you put castings in at one end an after some time out popped completed jugs for the turbocompound Wright engine... They said they only fired it up once every 3 years or so and then they made a batch of cylinders, at the time there were still engines flying in China (or so I was told) and that's where the machine ended years later.. I'm sure it's been scrapped by now, but I was amazed that they were still making those things even in 1988...