Another Wrong Airport | FerrariChat

Another Wrong Airport

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FERRARI-TECH, Jul 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
  2. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    easy to do when not familiar with surroundings... center announces airport VFR 10 miles etc... the largest airport pops into sight first, which is where one instinctively goes to when searching

radio silence should be first clue ...no coms with tower, aircraft on ground should be another clue... usually the tower says they don't have your aircraft in sight, then the conversation begins that the wrong airport is in sight also check ILS is correct for landing runway

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Rapid City and Ellsworth do look a lot alike-- they are pretty close together and the runways have the same alignment. I am always extra cautious when going in there about this.

Good procedure should prevent it, especially with a two pilot crew, but it's human nature to get lazy.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

They're both single runways with very close alignment...

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #5 PureEuroM3, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Flying a passenger as much as I do it all looks similar. However from what ive seen the technology should take care of this.

Ill just keep flying the way i do with a jack/coke and beautiful views.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Seems silly they had to wait 2.5 hours to leave.

7. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #7 RWP137, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    I've been into RAP a few times in the jet at night, once in heavy weather. The runways look almost identical and landing south you practically fly over the AF base. I think there is only a VOR and an RNAV for that airport if I recall. Needless to say, you better be paying attention and brief the threat...

I'm assuming this was after tower operational hours and Ellsworth runs approach. They don't really pay that much attention, plus the airports are so close I imagine you could not catch it before it's too late.

8. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    We had a crew divert to Dover AFB years ago for fuel. I think they were stuck on the tarmack for something like 8 hours and then bused out. All kinds of issues including getting approval to upload JP-8 (mil-spec fuel) and how to pay for it. It was a huge mess followed by a million company memos, bulletins, and training modules.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #9 Bob Parks, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    All during the war there were incidents of heavies landing at Drew Field and talking to the tower at MacDill and wondering why they didn't see them. Same runway alignment but 5 miles apart. I was processed out at Drew and on the way out I saw a B-29 coming in with number two on fire...but then that wasn't anything unusual. Almost the same alignment but further down the pike.

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You know, I've landed at RAP quite a bit-- probably 10-15 times, and I don't think I've ever landed to the south there.

It's a very convenient fuel stop.

11. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Id assume they may have needed some fuel. They might have been investigated by the FAA for entering restricted airspace. Most military bases in the U.S. are restricted. Back when my Dad first purchased his Saratoga. He hired a pilot in command to get insurance until he had enough hours in type. They flew down the west coast from Vancouver to Lake Tahoe. They flew over Everett Naval Station. ATC made them land at Everett and call the FAA. That was back in the 1980's, post 9/11 they are even crazier now. My Dad made the pilot call. He was questioned for about half an hour on why he flew into restricted space and given a warning.

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Happens at Luke AFB about once a week. Some poor soul flying his C-172 flies an approach to one of the Luke Field runways thinking he's going into Glendale Muni for a burger. As far as I know, not much becomes of it.

13. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #13 alexm, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In the dead centre of Australia is a dragstrip and light plane runway in just about the same orientation and length and only 1mi apart..

Go figure who thought THAT one out! .. I mean.. there IS plenty of room out there..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I find it interesting how hard it is to spot a new runway in urban areas. I just had it happen flying over Denver several airports going to Boulder. I had my GPS telling me exactly what degree and miles, but amazing you still can't find it until 3 miles!

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    They had to wait for 2.5 hours for new pilots to fly them over to RAP? I wonder if they were grounded.

16. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'm assuming just from what I know happened when my Dad and his "pilot" flew over restricted airspace and assume its like landing on a restricted field. They got grounded until the FAA investigated their transgression. I'm sure if they had been American it would have been more then a slap on the wrist. Don't do it again.

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

"A Town Like Alice"... TV series. Neville Shute

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm surprised it was that quick. I wonder if they bussed the passengers?